Postfix on ISPconfig 3 wont receive messages

Discussion in 'General' started by xnikix, Sep 21, 2009.

1. xnikix

xnikix New Member

Hello all,

I have set up my server using Falko's great howto : Perfect server on Debian lenny with ISpconfig 3.

Everything seems fine, except for Postfix.
    I can send emails, having made a user with ispconfig, fine. But when i try to reply i get this message from the mailer-daemon:
    Host or domain name not found. Name service error for
    name=mysite.com type=A: Host not found
    and from gmail:
    Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

[email protected]

Technical details of permanent failure:
    DNS Error: DNS server returned answer with no data

What have i not set up correctly? there are no relevant messages in maillog.
    I have been searching for a reply for the longest time now, with no success: alot of topics on similar problems, but none solve mine.
    Any help will be appreciated.

P.S. wtf? i have tried ZoneEdit Automated SMTP Test
    and the email it generated actually got to my inbox in squirrelmail... I am totally lost now - it ststed that everything is allright...but i still don't receive from gmail or inbox.lv weird.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Your problem is not with the mail system, it is a dns problem. Please make sure that you registered the domain mysite.com and that this domain points with a DNS A-Record to the IP of your server.

3. xnikix

xnikix New Member

yup that is so.
    The site IS registered and A record points to mysite.com.

then again, why did i receive the message from smtp mail service, but not from gmail or inbox.lv which are pop3 i think... :confused:? maybe the problem is in my pop3 settings? Please help :S

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

5. xnikix

xnikix New Member

Thanks for the suggestion!
    intodns wont give me any data at all, which is strange... here is what it stalls at:
    NEW! Follow IntoDNS on Twitter
    Work is still progress!
    Can't get nameservers at parent server!<br>I only check domains not subdomains!
    i have let it work for over an hour, to no success.
    how can it be a dns problem if mail generated and sent from the service i mentioned above did get through to the mailbox? which is exactly why i got to thinking it is a courier pop3 issue...

6. xnikix

xnikix New Member

now i am really weirded out.
    i have registered my site at our country's only DNS company, paid for it right.
    now with your suggestion i checked the dns health here: http://www.dnsqueries.com/en/

and it gives me loads of bad stuff. the number one is that my nameservers are non existant. here is the message it gave me:
    <code>The parent server doesn't have your nameservers listed... this is something very strange, like if your domain is not registered, or the registration is incomplete. Please fix this problem REGISTERING the domain or assuring yourself that the informations about DNS are present at the Registrar. </code>
    ok that is bad. but what do i do to get them up?
    do i just have to piont NS record to the IP of my server in the DNS company's control panel?
    Sorry i am very new to this DNS stuff..

7. xnikix

xnikix New Member

now i am really weirded out.
    i have registered my site at our country's only DNS company, paid for it right.
    now with your suggestion i checked the dns health here: http://www.dnsqueries.com/en/

and it gives me loads of bad stuff. the number one is that my nameservers are non existant. here is the message it gave me:
    Code:
    The parent server doesn't have your nameservers listed... this is something very 
    strange, like if your domain is not registered, or the registration is 
    incomplete. Please fix this problem REGISTERING the domain or assuring yourself 
    that the informations about DNS are present at the Registrar. 
    ok that is bad. but what do i do to get them up?
    do i just have to piont NS record to the IP of my server in the DNS company's control panel?
    Sorry i am very new to this DNS stuff..

8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

NS records can never point to an IP, they have to point to a domain. You should create glue records in the nameservers of your registry if you want to to use your own dns server.

See here for a explanation about glue records:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_name_system

9. xnikix

xnikix New Member

ok i dont get it... do i even need those nameservers set up to have a fully operating webstie and email server? cuz my Domain can be accessed from anywhere, i do see the site.

err... i am stupid or someting... i was trying to get mysite.com working, not only www.mysite.com, to no success. but now i did it with ispconfig. and guess what - the emails started receiving. the bad thing is that i do not really know what is it i did exactly to fix the problem, but it is fixed nevertheless. i do not like when this happens.

well anyway i can send and receive emails now which is what i needed to start with. and i learned something on the way :D
    cheers!