Spamassassin (with amavis, virtual users) on Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by mandelbrot, Sep 25, 2009.

1. mandelbrot

mandelbrot New Member

New here at HowtoForge.
    I'm in love with the tutorials and want to say thanks so much to the community. I wouldn't understand as much as I do without you guys.

I've followed this guide and I had a question about whitelisting domains with spamassassin.

With this configuration, will spamassassin still poll the cf files (like local.cf) for configuration definitions?
    I used to run a box without amavisd, and I'm not quite familiar with how it invokes spamd. Could someone explain this or link to an article? If I can't whitelist from local.cf, where would I whitelist?

After writing this, I realized I could probably whitelist from amavisd :rolleyes:.. Would a whitelist from amavisd stop it from piping mail to spamasssin, and just deliver?

Thanks guys!

2. Mccy_McFlinn

Mccy_McFlinn New Member

Hello,

Amavis is where you can whitelist mail addresses. Any address whitelisted in Amavis will bypass all spam checks in spamassassin. It will not, however, bypass any anti-virus or banned attachment blocking (by default).

If you look at the headers of a whitelisted email then you'll see that it reports [WHITELISTED] as the spam level.

EDIT - Sorry, forgot to mention. Whitelisting in spamassassin will still work as local.cf is still called by amavis. If you're using the amavis SQL tables you can define whitelists based on recipient policies rather than a global whitelisting

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009