Please Help Me

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Sf3d0, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Sf3d0

Sf3d0 New Member

Recently I installed Ubuntu on my computer..but the problem is that I installed it on a hard disc that was in use from my windows..that was a second disc, with my data..It was years of my work saved over there and now I cannot use it with windows..I'm afraid my data is lost and I'm really terrified..During the installation i've chosen "use entire disk" and I didn't know it would format it..so after searching in the web i found TestDisk..after following these steps http://www.howtoforge.com/data_recovery_with_testdisk anything happened..

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I guess that only a professional data recovery company can help you in this case... :(

3. matey

matey New Member

umm thats terrible.
    sorry. :(
    but you said you have 2 disks? may be the data is still on the 2nd disk?same thing happened to me but on a test machine...
    I know I have 2 disks also but my 2nd one does not show until I run the GUI (xdm) then when I go to my Places(Computer) I see my 2nd hard disk.
    I am not sure why it does not mount and only mounts when I run the xwindows?

may be run the X and re-check?
    good luck.

PS when I do cd /media and do ls I see only cdrom0 and floppy0 and some links to them & nothing else.
    but when I go to the Windows and look into Computer it shows me my 2nd disk.
    then if I go back to /media and do an ls I see a disk there? when I cd to disk I see all my data in there no problem!?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  4. Techtiger4

Techtiger4 New Member

Yes, you might have lost all of your data and now you need any experienced data recovery software like Kernel Recovery for Linux.