Virtual Users and Domains : Mail Loops back to Myself

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by uni, Oct 5, 2009.

1. uni

uni New Member

I followed the Ubuntu 9.04 tutorial two different times now and I always get the Postfix, "Mail.example.com Loops back to myself" error so I was hoping for a little help. I've searched through all threads about this before posting, btw.

I'm wondering if my MySQL transport table has the right values.

Hostname = server1.example.com
    MX record points = mail.example.com

I used 'mail.example.com' in all my configs (except where it reflected domain name, and I put in 'example.com')

Should my transport table value be:

source + destination
    example.com + server1.example.com (changed but not tested yet)
    example.com + mail.example.com (this does not work)

If there's anything else I can check, I'd appreciate some help as I'd really like to get this working.

Output of 'postconf -n'

Mailog error:

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

mail.example.com is already in the mydestination line, so I don't know why you still see that error. Did you restart Postfix?

3. uni

uni New Member

RE: Virtual Domains, Mail loops back to myself

Yes, I restarted Postfix many times . I've tried a lot of different things and then undone them when they didn't work. This is really strange. I can't get any further. Is there any Postfix diags I can run that would tell me what's going on?

Thanks,
    UNi

4. uni

uni New Member

RE: Virtual Domains, Mail loops back to myself SOLVED

For some reason this line in /etc/postfix/main.cf causes a mail loop for my system:

#transport_maps = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_transports.cf

I basically reinstalled Postfix, got things working, then worked backwards to find the culprit.

-UNi

Also, as someone else mentioned, SpamAssassin is not enabled by default in the tutorial.
    pico etc/default/spamassassin
    ** Move it to ON, 1

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  5. cpress

cpress New Member

After days of searching around trying to figure out what was going on (i had the same issue), I finally came across this.

It actually has to do with the transport table itself. You do not need to populate this table. Keep it empty on a fresh install. It only applies if you are sending the message elsewhere to have it delivered.

6. kramse

kramse New Member

7. kramse

kramse New Member

I enabled the line again, and emptied the transport table instead. Does this confllict in anyway with the line in main.cf:
    relayhost = <here I have my isp smtp>