Help please! Update script erased my databse.

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by nikoladd, Nov 21, 2009.

1. nikoladd

nikoladd New Member

I updated my ispconfig today from 3.0.1.3 to 3.0.1.6.

First call to the update script asked about mysql password in the middle of a line and I did press an enter. The result is that the script failed. However when the script succeeded on the second run my ispconfig database was empty. Thus there is no data whatsoever about my configuration. That's about 40 domains,ftp users and databases.

Any ideas how I can restore parts of my configuration or the panel to a working condition?

The "auto backup" is naturally empty.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. nikoladd

nikoladd New Member

Is there any mirror data that I could use stored anywhere? I've basically lost all ispconfig data except attempts_login,monitor_data,sys_ini and web_traffic tables.

Any help would be welcome...

Any way to read metadata back from the actual file folders?

How do I reset to a default ispc3 configuration? Fresh install might wipe some of my sparse data.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is a backup in your root folder.

You must have edited or added any columns or tables to the ispconfig database so that your db schema did not matched he ispconfg database scheme anymore which resulted in the problem that the updater could not add the data back into the database after installing the new db scheme. You have to remove all columns or tables that you added manually in the ispconfig db to be able to install updates again.

4. nikoladd

nikoladd New Member

YES. That's the BROKEN auto backup I mentioned above. It contains just a few of the tables data.

Nope. I've never changed anything in that DB. something else went wrong and you should think of a better backup mechanism as this one failed miserable.

I had to begin with a "fresh" install as you can imagine that I can't lose any more time.

My sites now somewhat "work" from the old config in the filesystem and databases, which lessens the pressure a bit.

Now my problem is to recreate metadata in the ispc to match the one I have in my system. Any thoughts?

5. till

Ispconfig uses the backup tool "mysqldump/ which is part of mysql for backups. this is very reliable. maybe you had not enough free space on your harddrive.

Do you have any other backups of your mysql databases which might include the ispconfig db too?

6. nikoladd

nikoladd New Member

There is quite a lot of free space 30GB+ so that's not the case.

There was however a problem with broken index on table after the data was lost. Unfortunately the two tables with broken indexes were from the set of surviving tables. Maybe because of a lock. What an irony...

I don't. I have backup of my data, but not of ispc database.
    I obviously underestimated the impact of a "panel upgrade". With the typical panel setup that wouldn't break the whole server. I'll know better from now on, but it was costly.

By the way at the same time I did an update of a plesk server including one major version update and 3 minor version updates. No problems there with probably 25 automated updates in 3 years. Hope you'll get at that level of redundancy soon too.

I think that this is a very weak point in the ispc update process. Maybe it's a good idea to separate the process into two stages(backup and update) and actually check what was exported. Mysql dump is far from the best way to export a DB from php if you want feedback IMHO.

7. till

I did many hundred of updates on ispconfig systems mysqlf and never lost any data. Your database must have been really damaged or corrupted before the update if mysqldump was not able to extract the data anymore. mysqldump works very reliable, it is used on ispconfig setups for many years without any problems.