ProFTPd and PureFTP at once

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by HiJacker, Nov 19, 2009.

1. HiJacker

HiJacker New Member

Hello, how can I install proftpd and pureftpd at the same time? apt-get remove each other, is there any over-ride ?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Why do you need two FTP servers? Do you want to run them on different ports?

3. HiJacker

HiJacker New Member

Our game-server admin panel run on proftpd, and ISP on Pureftp , pureftpd will run on different port. I just need how to force apt to not to remove each other.

4. HiJacker

HiJacker New Member

Any ideas please ? Its really urgent.

5. falko

I think you can install just one with apt; you must then install (e.g. compile) the other server manually.

6. HiJacker

HiJacker New Member

I tried command 'hold' in aptitude, then I tried interactive aptitude , but I still dont know how to force it to not-to remove proftpd. Any ideas or tips how to handle apt ?

7. HiJacker

HiJacker New Member

Anybody who helps me - successfully will get $5 on paypal.

What I want, is to run ProFTP at the same time as PureFTP(Mysql) but, PureFTP will listen on port 999. Proftp will still run on 21.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  8. falko

See post #5.

9. HiJacker

HiJacker New Member

PureFTP(mysql) from source doesnt work.

10. falko

Why not? Where exactly is the problem?

11. HiJacker

HiJacker New Member

Simply, i set all --with parameters correctly, and after compilation , /etc/init.d/pure-ftpd-mysql start echo nothing. Ill try it differently, hope it wont f... more than it is now, ill install proftpd on my laptop, so if i start installing PureFTP , it wont check if there is or isnt any other ftp service. And if it does, it can be removed from Makefile.

Anyway, how can I change listen port of PureFTPd ?

12. falko

Where did you get the /etc/init.d/pure-ftpd-mysql script from? Did you create it yourself?

13. HiJacker

HiJacker New Member

I got it working, purged proftpd, installed pure-ftpd-mysql , worked, and then proftpd from source, Thanks anyway.