Mail going to /var/mail

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by CyberCowboy, Dec 1, 2009.

1. CyberCowboy

CyberCowboy New Member

I followed the perfect server install for Ubuntu 9.04 a while back, everything was working fine until last night when I made a change while on ambien (don't administer servers while on sleep meds) and don't recall the change I made. Now my e-mail appears to be going to /var/mail/<user> and I can't get at it via either IMAP or POP3 (the mail is all there, and if I have to lose that to restore POP and IMAP access I'm ok with that I can print it out for the users)

I'm fairly new to ISPCONFIG so if you want logs or something please tell me where they are located and I'll get them.

2. CyberCowboy

CyberCowboy New Member

Further information, when I try to send to another user from thunderbird I get the following error message:

"An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.1.1 <[email protected]>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table. Please check the message recipients and try again."

the user IS listed in ISPConfig so I'm guessing I somehow switched the thing over to using the internal unix mail system.

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Any errors in /var/log/mail.log?
    What's in /etc/postfix/main.cf?

4. CyberCowboy

CyberCowboy New Member

Sorry should have closed this out, I figured out the problem was that I had deleted my co-domain and that's what killed it.... recreated and away I went.

5. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

paste your postfix config please

6. MUD

MUD New Member

I am having the same issue, using CentOS 5.4 x86, I noticed my
    /var/www/www.domain.ca/user/unsername/Maildir/ was not created after i've setup a user/admin account within a domain.
    :eek:

here is my main.conf

master.cf
    tailed /var/log/mail.log and got

7. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

What's in /etc/aliases? I guess info is an alias for root?

8. MUD

MUD New Member

Yes thanks I removed them and now I get

local-host-names has: vdomain.ca
    virtusertable has: [email protected] vdomain.ca_info

but my mail is getting delivered to: /var/mail/vdomain.ca_info

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  9. MUD

MUD New Member

Resolved:

Just went into the panel of ISPConfig and Management -> Server -> Settings -> E-Mail tab -> Maildir and checked the box, she'll all good now!