Virtual Users and Domains howto and the ISPConfig3 howto for Ubuntu 9.10

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by loubart, Oct 30, 2009.

1. loubart

loubart New Member

I have a question or 3 about 2 of your howto's so i can best decide on which option i will use.

I need a mail and LAMP server with aliases and spam filtering (currently using Virtual Users and Domains Ubuntu 8.04 & postgrey) and standard LAMP with Subversion access for uploading sites.

I think the Virtual Users and Domains is fantastic. By chance are you going to release a Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier, MySQL And SquirrelMail (Ubuntu 9.10).

My second question is Does the ISPConfig do the same thing as the virtual users and domains plus a little more and will it allow for users to upload their websites through Subversion, i do prefer it to say FTP.

and the final question with the Virtual Users and Domains after you've done the patch with Postfix for quota etc... can you at anytime after doing the howto do a general apt-get update on the machine or will it break it (always been afraid to try it lol)

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Yes. :)

Yes.
    No, only through FTP.

If there's a Postfix update, you will lose the quota patch. But you can set the Postfix package on hold: http://www.howtoforge.com/a-short-introduction-to-apt-pinning

3. loubart

loubart New Member

Thanks Falko,

That cleared up somethings for me only 1 question left now I don't really need the quota, if i did the apt-get update and wasn't worried about loosing the quota would it all still work (except the quota of course) or can you do the virtual users and domains successfully without it by just skipping that step.

The mail server only has about 30 individual user accounts and 5 group mailboxes (just a lot aliases though for the multiple domains) I don't mind how large their mailbox is, space on the server is not an issue for us (4TB overkill I know but hey) nor for backing it up.

Excellent news on the Howto for 9.10 will wait patiently (or try too :D ).

4. falko

You can skip the quota step. :)

5. loubart

loubart New Member

Eta

Falko,

not meaning to be a pain but would you have an ETA on the Virtual Users and Domains for Ubuntu 9.10. I have had a look a the ISPConfig and it doesn't really suit our needs.

6. falko

I've written it already and will publish it in the next days. :)

7. loubart

loubart New Member

Excellent

Excellent and thank you!!!

8. cofficavic

cofficavic New Member

looking forward to it.

Thanks.

9. Bikovski

Bikovski New Member

Hi ! anyone can help me ?

Hello! I am one of the users of Ubuntu and I want to be protected from other users of Ubuntu who are in my network, without my permission to enter my computer. I think this is not correct, so please help if someone can help me. Greetings are the best!

10. falko

Please open a new thread.