just dl'd + installed ubuntu 8 server... concerned about recent ssh security issue

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by zskillz, May 19, 2008.

1. zskillz

zskillz New Member

Hi All,
    I downloaded Hardy Heron 8.04 LTS server on 5/13 and burned it to a disk. A few days ago, I installed it, then I noticed the recent security issue. I am a newbie to linux (for the most part), so I want to know that I've got all the latest patches/updates necessary so that I don't have to worry about the security.

so I have a few questions...
    1) how do I find out what versions of various programs I have? (what is the command or commands)
    2) how do I find out what the latest version is available?
    3) how do I download and update to the newer version?

as a long-time windows user, I'm very used to the way that they do updates... what is nice about that is that you go to windows update, it determines what you don't have, then you get to choose what updates you actually want to install... does ubuntu have those same capabilities? (and I know that since i'm using the server version, i can only use command line, but that's fine... I should still be able to do everything that I'm asking about)

thanks in advance
    -Z

2. topdog

topdog Active Member

Yes it does have update feature, and you do not need to track versions.

Just frequently run
    Code:
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade

3. ScottW

ScottW New Member

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server updating question

Hi,

Am new here too with server installations and am stuck atm with updating the system. I keep getting the following after making sure that multiverse and universe are enabled:
    Any ideas?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

What's in /etc/resolv.conf?

5. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

if you need to re-create your sources.list you can use my tool in my sig.