SMTP server response: Bad recipient address syntax (state 14)

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by abmoller, May 1, 2009.

1. abmoller

abmoller New Member

Hi

I am trying to config my SMTP server to receiving incoming emails, yet to no avail. I just tried to send an e-mail from a gmail account and this was the server response

501 501 5.1.3 Bad recipient address syntax (state 14)

What could be causing this, it is obviously the config of the SMTP server but I don't know what. Pls help!

Kind regards

FYI - I have been using the http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual-users-domains-postfix-courier-mysql-squirrelmail-fedora-10 . Also I think it could matter that my host is still running on a global IP address ref so the e-mail addresses would be something like [email protected]

2. topdog

topdog Active Member

Check your /var/log/maillog, its a misconfiguration causing the mail to be rejected.

3. abmoller

abmoller New Member

I am getting a line in my maillog:
    Code:
    postfix/smtpd[21450]: warning: Illegal address syntax from localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1] in RCPT command: <[email protected]>
    I am getting the feeling I am overlooking something stupid here. I set the proxy_interfaces setting to 1.2.3.4 since my server behind a NAT. Nothing.

What is the difference between editing the settings in main.cf versus postconf -e? Is it the same thing?

Also, I can send mail from the server to a gmail account using mailx. When trying to use Squirrelmail to send email from a user account it throws a bad syntax error at me, similar to the server response when trying to send emails to it. What am I missing here??

4. topdog

topdog Active Member

Please post your main.cf file.

5. abmoller

abmoller New Member

I have the suspicion that postfix rejects all mails to a [email protected] address and therefore the Illegal address syntax msg. Can someone confirm this before I post my main.cf file???

6. topdog

topdog Active Member

Not if you have setup your mail system to support ip literals.

7. abmoller

abmoller New Member

Is that a setting in the config file or is it a more complicated matter? Thank you very much for all your replies!

8. codexico

codexico New Member