Can't send without relayhost?

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by kusumoto, Feb 1, 2010.

1. kusumoto

kusumoto New Member

I am using postfix on an ubuntu 9.10 server. It is working perfectly on all parts of postfix/dovecot. I have it set up to forward through my router and there are MX and A records in my primary DNS server for the mail server. The mail server also has a DNS server (forwarding requests it can't answer to the primary DNS server).
    I commented out 'relayhost =' in my main.cf
    I don't want to use a relay host. I want to send out directly.

Whenever I try to send to a domain other than the one hosted by the mailserver, I get an error stating.
    The mail server responded: 5.7.1 <email i was sending to>: Relay access denied. Please check the message recipient <email i was sending to> and try again.

Please assist.

2. rutame

rutame Member

Yes, you can send emails without relay.
    Look, one thing is relayhost, per example another smtp and relay is for accounts out of your domain, i think.

Greetings

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  3. kusumoto

kusumoto New Member

I don't want to use relay.
    It seems to be trying to do that anyway.
    That's what the issue is.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

5. kusumoto

kusumoto New Member

I have a static IP and it is not blacklisted. The DNS entries on the external DNS server points to my router. My router forwards all www/pop3/smtp traffic to/from the internal static of my mail server.

I would think this is a software issue, rather than a networking issue. That being said, I am open to any other ideas.

6. falko

Did you enable "Server requires authentication" in your email client?

7. kusumoto

kusumoto New Member

I didn't have that enabled, but when I tried sending to the other domain with that enabled I still got the same error.

8. falko

Any errors in your mail log?

9. kusumoto

kusumoto New Member

This is the log from the send attempt.

Feb 5 09:14:00 mail dovecot: auth(default): new auth connection: pid=21297
    Feb 5 09:14:05 mail postfix/smtpd[21298]: connect from gatewayhostname[myip]
    Feb 5 09:14:05 mail postfix/smtpd[21298]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from gatewayhostname[myip]: 554 5.7.1 <targetemail>: Relay access denied; from=<sourceemail> to=<targetemail> proto=ESMTP helo=<sendershostname>
    Feb 5 09:14:05 mail postfix/smtpd[21298]: disconnect from gatewayhostname[myip]

EDIT: put in some variables because i'm paranoid

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  10. MxToolBox

MxToolBox New Member

I did a quick SMTP Diagnostic on your IP and I do see that you are receiving one warning about your rDNS. This might not be the cause of your mail problems but it definitely isn't helping. Large ISPs like Gmail or Hotmail may deny your mail or flag it as spam since your rDNS doesn't match.

I would recommend resolving that and then seeing if that helps.

Thanks,
    @MxToolBox

11. kusumoto

kusumoto New Member

Warning - Reverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner

Would this be an issue with the DNS entry on the primary DNS server or could it have anything to do with the DNS on the mailserver? I don't really think the DNS on the mailserver is doing anything, since it worked the same before and after I set it up.

12. kusumoto

kusumoto New Member

Ok I fixed that and I am getting the same error.

13. kusumoto

kusumoto New Member

This is the output from my mail.warn when I run the mxtoolbox SMTP test on my IP.

Code:
    Feb 10 14:41:56 mail postfix/smtpd[14163]: warning: 64.20.227.133: address not listed for hostname recover.mxtoolbox.com
    It passes the tests, but the test email that mxtoolbox attempts shows the same error
    Code:
    554 5.7.1 <[email protected]>: Relay access denied [31 ms]

14. MxToolBox

MxToolBox New Member

Are you still having this issue? Can you post the full bounce back that you are receiving?

Thank you,
    @MxToolBox

15. kusumoto

kusumoto New Member

I am still having the issue.

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.7.1 <[email protected]>: Relay access denied. Please check the message recipient [email protected] and try again.

16. MxToolBox

MxToolBox New Member

Can you please send a test email to our Hotmail testing account at [email protected]? If your receive a bounce can you forward the whole bounce there as well?

We will try to assist more once we have all the information we can gather.

Thanks,
    @MxToolBox

17. kusumoto

kusumoto New Member

I sent an attachment of the undeliverable address when trying to send to that address from my server to that address.

I'll PM you the email it's from so you know what to look for.