Temporary access to www directory when not implemented

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by bswinnerton, Mar 4, 2010.

1. bswinnerton

bswinnerton New Member

What I'm trying to do move over all of my data from my ispconfig 2 server to my newly installed ispconfig 3 server.

Is there any way to view the webpages of a particular site, without actually going to that domain name? To make myself a little bit more clear, my ispconfig 3 server has the site in place, but I can't view it because the DNS records are still pointing to the old one (and I want it that way, until everything is moved over to the new server).

I tried http://servername.com/sitename.com/folder

But I get a 403 forbidden message. Is there a way that I can change the permissions temporarily while I'm installing things such as roundcube, etc? And then set it back? Or a better way of doing this?

Thanks

2. bswinnerton

bswinnerton New Member

3. tedeu

tedeu New Member

sorry to say, that's not a sollution, but a workaroud ...

4. bswinnerton

bswinnerton New Member

What exactly are you looking for tedeu? If you were able to look at the website by IP address it could eventually be a security risk which is why it was programmed this way.

I recommend that you put it in your /etc/hosts file so that you can still pass the domain name to the virtual site on the server.

5. tedeu

tedeu New Member

Oo ... first of all, super fast answer... i give you that !

the ideea is like this:

i installed ispconfig overt my network...

i don't want it to be accessible from outside ...

we want to use the server as a intranet server ...

ftp and intranet site with all news to the office computers...

when we go to the 192.168.12.2 (the address of isp config) we see only it works ...

but i want to put there (and be able to use also the isp config interface) out intranet site, and make a couple of subdomains...

The altering of hosts files don't help us at all ...

we need a way to access a account created...

Can it be done ?

6. bswinnerton

bswinnerton New Member

That's what happens when you sit in front of your computer at work :)

As far as your questions goes, this is completely possible. You will need to configure your DNS server to handle the intranet website that you would like to use. For example if your site name was intranet.example.com, you would need a new A record on the DNS server that points intranet.example.com --> 192.168.12.2.

Once you have done this and your DNS is updated (Start > Run > cmd > ipconfig /flushdns, on a PC) you will be able to browse to intranet.example.com in your web browser and go to the site. But don't forget that you will need to create the site in ISPConfig before you can view the site. I believe the site will be example.com with a subdomain called intranet. If not, you may be able to make a new site called intranet.example.com. Give both a try and see which works.

7. tedeu

tedeu New Member

i added a DNS zone if that's what you mean ...

Other dns i can't configure ...

the dns record is like this :
    server1.ploiesti.rdsnet.ro intranet.example.com. 192.168.12.2. admin.intranet.example.com.

8. bswinnerton

bswinnerton New Member

Hmm, well you won't actually use intranet.example.com (just to clarify).

Where are you editing the DNS? You will need to do it on whatever server that your computer is asking for DNS queries from, not just the ISPConfig server. If you don't have access to that server, create the site anyway on the ISPConfig server and edit your /etc/host to say the same name of the domain that you just created and point it to 192.168.12.2

9. tedeu

tedeu New Member

1. The dns server is at my Internet Service Provider

2. I just said when i replied that i can't alter the host files on my computer ...
    there are oevr 200 computers ...

Isn't there any other way ?

i mean when i access ftp://192.168.12.2 with the user and pass i putted on a ftp account, it takes me where it was supposed ...
    why can't this be done with the http also ?

10. bswinnerton

bswinnerton New Member

You will need to edit either:

1. The DNS entries
    2. The host files

You must have some sort of DNS server for the domain ploiesti.rdsnet.ro. That is the one that you need to add the A record to. Domain Name Service is what converts the hostname to the ip address, and if you don't have a way to convert the hostname to the IP address, you unforunately won't be able to access the site through a web browser.

If for some reason your ISP actually handles the DNS for your domain (which I don't think it does), you can usually contact them and request that they make a new A record on your behalf.

11. tedeu

tedeu New Member

none of these can do for me ...
    so i guess there is impossible ...

the ploiesti.rdsnet.ro was assigned automaticly

the domain is used for something else ...
    i don't have a domain for the ispconfig 3

12. bswinnerton

bswinnerton New Member

You could purchase a new domain name from say GoDaddy, and then use their DNS servers to point your new server (with the firewall ports unblocked of course) and then create the site in ISPConfig with the same name as the one you purchased.

13. tedeu

tedeu New Member

ok ... you give me only workarounds ...
    i don't want to buy and all ...
    i just want to be able to access the server like said ...
    is it possible or not ?

14. bswinnerton

bswinnerton New Member

No, not without DNS. It's not the way that ISPConfig was designed. Since ISPConfig was meant to handle multiple websites it uses virtual sites in apache. When doing this the one ip address handles multiple sites, and hence why you cannot access it just by ip address.

I suggest maybe you uninstall ISPConfig and simply use apache so that you can browse to the ip address and have it go directly to the site.

I apologize I'm just offering work-arounds but it's simply not how ISPConfig was designed. You need DNS.

15. tedeu

tedeu New Member

i thought is like cpanel

with the ip.address.number/~intranet

16. bswinnerton

bswinnerton New Member

Unforunately, no.

17. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig 3 supports IP based virtual hosts. Simply assign a unique IP to every website and you can access the website by IP address.

18. tedeu

tedeu New Member

how to do that ?
    explain step by step please :)

19. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Add the IP addresses under system > server IP addresses. Then create the websites as usual and select a different IP address for every site.