Perfect setup x68_64[ispconfig 3] issue

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Fubar, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Fubar

Fubar New Member

Hi,

I'm having issues on receiving emails on a fresh setup. I've run a Postfix/Dovcot setup for my personal email for years but my work recently had to leave a windows box up so I put my hand up and offered to setup a linux solution and get rid of windows. I'm a developer(php/.NET) here so this isn't 100% my fortay.

I ran through your great guide 2 or 3 times to iron out the bits I wasn't to sure on and I'm quite confident I set it up correctly bar one step at the start (I added http://dev.centos.org/centos/$releasever/testing/$basearch/ repo in order to update php to 5.2.10)

The issues that I'm gettinng I'm assuming are all related:
    - UBE messages returned to a majority of emails trying to be sent to any of the 6 domains being hosted on the box
    - the root (root@localhost) user on the box is getting a great deal of emails though I have not set this address anywhere (200 or so a day)
    - Users are peridiodicly getting UBE messages related to sending email to themselves though they have never actually done this IE
    (A message from <[email protected]>
    to: [email protected])

Other than this it seems ot be running perfecly.

I have never dealt with SPF records before so that could be an issue (I'm a MCSE and would like to think I understand DNS) but would love any help anyone can shed there.

I don't really know where to go next. I've played around with the settings in amavisd to PASS a lot of the email it would originally discarded or returned but to no avail. I've read up on SPF records and double /treble checked the mx records (plus tested with third party apps).
    I can't see a pattern appearing with the emails that are not being recieved. I will send a email a few times from my own account and it will com up as BCE then send one an hour later after not changing anything and it will come through fine

I was converted from windows a long time ago and really don't want this to fail and give the M$ techies here a bad impression of it just becasue of a terrible experience with it now.

Thanks in advance, any responce will be a help (I feel like I have wasted my time for 2 days now)

I've not added any logs there but only as I'm not sure what you'll ask for.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Check /etc/aliases file, centos contains a lot of default aliases there. Remove all aliases that you dont need and run the newaliases command afterwards.

3. Fubar

Fubar New Member

All of the emails in root are error emails not emails being sent in and arriving there though catch all or such.

They are all either UBE messages

or

This is the mail system at host domain-web.co.uk.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
    be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
    delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<[email protected]>: mail for localhost.co.uk loops back to myself

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Please add localhost.co.uk to the mydestination line in /etc/postfix/main.cf and restart Postfix.

5. Fubar

Fubar New Member

Thanks, I've added that.
    I'll see how it goes.

6. Fubar

Fubar New Member

THis doesn't appear to of helped change anything.
    Come in Monday morning to a few disgruntled employees.

I have tried to bypass a lot of amavis checks in the conf file but is there any easy way to skip the check completely temperarily to find out if that is the problem at all?

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If you want to disable amavis completely, commevt out the content_filter line in postfix main.cf and restart amavisd.

8. Fubar

Fubar New Member

Would amavis be the culprit service for blocking emails due to UBE?

9. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Can you post your main.cf? Do you use any blacklists in it?