Mail Server Requiment

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by wasanzy, Mar 19, 2010.

1. wasanzy

wasanzy New Member

Hi All,

The actual feature I am looking for in a linux base mail server before I choose qmail are as follows:

1. Email content filter rules capability
    2. Spam filtering rules capability
    3. Email gate way capablity
    4. Domail routing capability ( So that, we can have the option to send mail directly or through another smpt)
    5. Domain pop capability
    6. Virus protection capability
    7. Mail Rebot capability
    8. Should be able to provide web base administration
    9.Relay capability
    10. Mailing list capability.
    11. Should be able to host unlimited domains
    12. Domain lever administration

Out of this 12 features, the only one left for me and am still tragling to get is the 5th one which is Domain POP. People recommended getmail and fetchmail which I tried with out success because I am using virtual domains and users.
    Once again, can any one give me a simple solution to this?

For the content filter, I will be using procmail through webmin but all the same, I don't know how to integration it into qmail yet since am using virtual domain and procmail seem to support local usres $HOME/Maildir.

In the case of Email gate way or setting up qmail as a gate way, that am not sure what I got will work because I didn't test it yet. So if some one tested it and it working for him or her, please the person can let me know.

If any one have any other Linux base mail server other than qmail which got all this features, I will appreciate it if the person can share with me.

Thanks!

2. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

I prefer to use

postfix as MTA
    procmail for local delivery and filtering
    courier for imap/pop3 access
    spamassassin for spam checking
    and on two server I run amavisd for malware checking
    I also use greylisting - might not be suitable for all

All of that can be nicely integrated into postfix :)

3. wasanzy

wasanzy New Member

Thank you for the reply.

Does postfix have an administrative and domain level administrative interface?
    Also, what will I require to do a domain pop?

I was able to migrate users mails and accounts from MDaemon to the qmail server. Do you think that will be possible with qmail? How can it be done?

4. dbrumbaugh

dbrumbaugh New Member

POP Solution

Take a look at vpopmail. It will integrate with either QMail or PostFix and is built for virtual usage.

5. wasanzy

wasanzy New Member

Thank you.

I have already setup vpopmail with qmail. The qmail server is even sending and recieving mails. But what I am trying to get work is that, there is another server, MDaemon which is serving as a gateway for the qmail server. So any message sent to my qmail server gets to the MDaemon first and then the qmail server is suppose to do a domain pop (catch all account) and now have the message delivered to the respective virtual users.

Going through google, people sugested getmail or fetchmail but I could see that, they are not supporting virtual useres but local users.
    Also, I don't have to create a pop account for all users on the MDaemon server, but just one accout as the gateway account so all message for every users get stored in one folder. So it is now the work of the domain pop function of the qmail to be able to download the mails and have it deliver to all the users .

This is what I need help with.

I just hope am making some sense.

cheers
    Emma

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff