Upgrade via ispconfig_update.sh

Discussion in 'General' started by podge, May 6, 2010.

1. podge

podge New Member

Hi,

I've upgraded via ispconfig_update.sh before and when I try to do it now it does not work and gives me an error message of "Unable to retrieve version file". I read another post saying that this could be due to a HTTP problem. I checked this out and found that I did have a DNS problem which I have now resolved, but the error message still appears, just quicker now. I know that I can follow the manual upgrade procedure, but I wanted to know if anyone else is having this problem.

ISPConfig V3.0.1.6
    CentOS 5.4

Thanks,

Paul

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. podge

podge New Member

Hi Till,

Here are the results:

ping -c 3 www.ispconfig.org
    PING www.ispconfig.org (69.64.147.243) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- www.ispconfig.org ping statistics ---
    3 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 1999ms

It looks like the name is being resolved.

Regards,

Paul

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Can you try again? If it still doesn't work - does
    Code:
    ping -c3 www.google.com
    work?

5. podge

podge New Member

Hi Falko,

There is still something weird going on the the DNS lookup. Using nslookup against the BT DNS server I'm using, every domain I'm looking up is returning the same 69.64.147.243 address.

I'm going to try some other DNS servers and see if I can get it working properly.

I'll let you know what happens.

Regards,

Paul

6. podge

podge New Member

Hi,

The plot thickens.

The work I've been doing up to now is via SSH terminal session. I've just logged into the server using an X session at the physical server. I opened the web browser and any URL I entered was being intercepted and redirected to searchportal.information.com with a string behind it, but the page was showing up blank. I then put in the IP address for Cisco's website into the address bar and it went straight to the Cisco server. So I thought that my server has been hacked. However, I looked up the searchportal..... URL in Google and found a post on the Fedora forums suggesting changing the DNS lookup servers to OpenDNS's servers. Once I had done that and restarted the interface, the web browser is working fine. I then ran ispconfig_update.sh and it ran fine.

So, I'm now wondering what the outcome of all this is. Do I have a hacked box and have to scrap it and start again, or can I continue on, on the basis that there is a problem with the ISP DNS servers?

Regards,

Paul

7. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I guess you just had wrong DNS servers in /etc/resolv.conf. Maybe they were working before, and then their maintainers changed something. I'd continue to use the OpenDNS (or Google's) nameservers.

8. podge

podge New Member

Hi Falko,

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Paul