How To ISP Server setup with Ubuntu 5.10 (Breezy Badger)

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by gymsmoke, Mar 27, 2006.

1. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I guess you have localhost.localdomain in /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/lib/config.inc.php and also in /root/ispconfig/httpd/conf/httpd.conf? Change it (you could use your IP address for testing purposes) and restart ISPConfig:
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/ispconfig_server restart

2. gymsmoke

gymsmoke New Member

How To Perfect ISP Setup

Falko~
    The test domain and server went away :)mad: ) After all the work I did, the "loaner" went bye-bye. So, I took the plunge, got my colo box setup and have installed everything with the exception of ISPConfig (which is working great so far, thanks alot for the GREAT tutorial !!!)
    I'm wondering if ISPConfig will aid me in what I need to accomplish for this server...

Basically, I have 2 or three web sites that I need to setup here, each with it's own IP address. I'd also like to setup virtual hosts under each of the websites, such that I can have a development home for each of the production sites (for upgrades, testing, etc).
    This is what I'd like to do -

Main server: mybigserver.mybigserver.com
    IP 111.222.333.100
    Mail server: mybigserver.com

111.222.333.101 = myfirstsite.com
    (virtual host) myfirstsite,dev
    111.222.333.102 = mysecondsite.com
    (virtual host) mysecondsite,dev

It seems that ispconfig offers support for all of this... but I'm not sure about maintaining this package, since it isn't offered in any of the repo's of Ubuntu...

Can you offer any suggestions, or should I just forge ahead?

3. gymsmoke

gymsmoke New Member

How To Perfect ISP Setup

falko~
    Please don't think this a startup for a flame... i was just asking someone about whether or not installing ispconfig would be a path i should follow being that i am trying to create a production environment, and not a 'development' or 'testbed' that i have to constantly spend time with... his exact answer to me - ' it's sorta trash ' ...
    when i pressed him for a more intelligient answer, he said "well, it's cheesy" ...
    i have no idea what either of those two statements could possibly mean!
    given the functionality that i need to have on this server, can you give me a knowledgeable opinion of whether ispconfig is the package to start with?

4. gymsmoke

gymsmoke New Member

How To Perfect ISP Setup

Ignore this last pile i replied with... i don't know what those knuckleheads were talking about... i just installed ispconfig on the colo box, and its working fine!

Thanks for a GREAT how to... now i just need to get up to speed on how to use this

5. falko

You can do it like that (one IP address per web site), but it isn't required. It would be enough if you have one IP address overall. Your different web sites would then share that IP address.

6. ik_list

ik_list New Member

Ubuntu 5.10 breezy badger install is killing me !

Hi all
    i am a linux newby and i have been trying to follow the how-to for ISPconfig on Ubuntu 5.10. However, i am get many errors during the apt-get update process. Its complaining about some gzip file during the download of one of the packages. I am thinking there may be an error in the sources.list file that i pasted from the Howto. However does any one else have any similar issues.
    I have been trying to give linux a go repeatedly but i am afraid i have been bogged down with hardware conflict problems, dodgy images and complete un-userfriendliness....
    any help will be welcome before i head back to the dark side of Redmond.
    iklist

7. falko

What's in /etc/apt/sources.list?
    Please make sure you follow the tutorial as close as possible. Maybe you made a typo somewhere?