How to change MAC Address??

Discussion in 'Desktop Operation' started by fedrorpet, Dec 9, 2009.

1. fedrorpet

fedrorpet New Member

Hello every one
    i just wanna know if someone know how we can change MAC Adress
    or if anyone have tutoriel that explain how
    Thank you

2. id10t

id10t Member

man ifconfig

3. id10t

id10t Member

Build a man a fire, keep him warm for the night. Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life.

I'd rather someone learn to be self sufficient than to ask to be spoon fed information...

Now, if he has issues w/ inderstanding the man page, then he should ask for clarification and I'll be happy to help... http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

4. mzakelj

mzakelj New Member

Under Linux, you can change your MAC address with `ifconfig <interface> hw <class> <address>`, or you can use the GNU MAC Changer.

google is your friend

5. camelia123

camelia123 New Member

Changing Your Mac Address in Windows Vista

hello. i've read this article, and i wanna 2 share

For those of you who do not know what a MAC address is, it is the burned in address that every networking piece of equipment has that is unique. No two pieces of equipment should every have the same MAC address. There are many reasons someone might want to change the MAC address of the network card or wireless card. Maybe they are trying to connect to someone's wireless network that only allows certain MAC addresses. You can also change your MAC address to test your own security settings, and even DHCP settings. So there are many reasons why you might want to change your MAC address.

First off this article is intended for Windows Vista users only, some of the details my apply to Windows XP but everything here was tested in Vista. We need to first find the name of our network card and this is really easy to do. Click start then run and type in "cmd" and click OK to bring up a command prompt. Then to find the name we will type in "ipconfig /all" and press enter. This will give us a lot of information depending on how many network cards that we have. We are going to look at the header of each section of information that ipconfig is going to give us. Every connection will have its own header and once we find the connection we will be using we will copy down the "Description" field that ipconfig gave us. The description of the connection is what we want to take note of here because that is how we will find the settings for it in the registry. So for purposes of this article lets say that our description is "WirelessWiFi Link".

First I would like to give my disclaimer. This article is intended for informational use only and in no way should you ever modify your registry unless you know what you are doing and have a verified backup. Improper modification of your registry can cause you computer to crash.

Now that we have our connection, using the description, within the registry of our computer. So click start and then run again, only this time type "regedt32" and click OK. You will see the registry pop up and you want to navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Within this key lies all of the network card settings for your computer. Scroll through all of the 4 digit codes until you find the one that has a REG_SZ named AdapterModel that is the same as the description we copied down earlier. You have now found you network card within the registry and from here it is pretty simple to change the MAC address. Scroll down and see if there is a REG_SZ name NetworkAddress. If there is simply change this to any 12 digit hexadecimal number you wish, but if it is not there you will have to create it your self. Simply create a new REG_SZ entry named "Network Address" and again give it any 12 digits hexadecimal number you want.

The last step to change your MAC address is to go to your network connections and disable the connection we just change and then re-enable it. You can now do another ipconfig /all and see your new MAC address in the window. To get your old MAC address back simply delete the REG_SZ that you created, or put it back the way it was before you changed it. :)

6. cemejacky

cemejacky New Member

Its impossible to change it. The memory where the MAC Address is stored can not be written on, erased or copied, thus you can only spoof it.Also I'm not sure if this works for everybody, but simply connecting my PS3 to my laptop which then connects wirelessly to the router allows me to play online on a MAC banned PS3. I tried it with my friend's PS3, and it worked fine.

7. Every Ethernet card has a MAC address burned-in at the factory. At times, you may want to change this MAC address to one of your own choosing.

8. martine4161

martine4161 New Member

In Linux you have one tool named MAC changer, that can help you a lot for that. So basically you have to find that for your problem.

9. ksrao

ksrao New Member

Change of MAC adress?

Hi,

MAC address is a Media Access Control Address . It is a 48 bit Hexadecimal address.It is known as physical address. It is allotted by Manufacturer and it is fixed it can not be changed by user.

To clear your basics in linux go through some free linux online test.

Thanks
    Regards
    Kolla Sanjeeva Rao

10. deborahdmathise

deborahdmathise New Member

For those who do not know what the MAC address is the address that is burned, that every piece of network equipment, it is unique. No two pieces of equipment should be the same MAC address. There are many reasons someone might want to change the MAC address of network card or wireless card. Maybe they are trying to take someone's wireless network connection is allowed only in certain MAC addresses.

11. captainpirate

captainpirate New Member

I rather prefer macchanger !!
    Use 'yum install macchanger '

12. nbhadauria

nbhadauria New Member

a simple answare is ..

Open file for eth0 using vi, type:
    vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

Add the following line:

HWADDR=<MAC address of the network interface>

sample config file:

# Intel Corporation 80003ES2LAN Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper)
    DEVICE=eth0
    BOOTPROTO=static
    DHCPCLASS=
    HWADDR=00:19:B1:2A:BA:B8
    IPADDR=00.00.00.00
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    ONBOOT=yes

You can change your mac address as you want..

13. dominikjames

dominikjames New Member

How do I change my MAC address?
    Although physical MAC (Media Access Control) addresses are permanent by design, several mechanisms allow modification, or "spoofing", of the MAC address that is reported by the operating system. This can be useful for privacy reasons, for instance when connecting to a Wi-Fi hotspot, or to ensure interoperability. Some internet service providers bind their service to a specific MAC address; if the user then changes their network card or intends to install a router, the service won't work anymore. Changing the MAC address of the new interface will solve the problem. Similarly, some software licenses are bound to a specific MAC address. Changing the MAC address in this way is not permanent: after a reboot, it will revert to the MAC address physically stored in the card. A MAC address is 48 bits in length.
    As a MAC address can be changed, it can be unwise to rely on this as a single method of authentication. IEEE 802.1x is an emerging standard better suited to authenticating devices at a low level.
    Mac OS X
    Under Mac OS X, the MAC address can be altered in a fashion similar to the Linux and FreeBSD methods:
    sudo ifconfig en0 lladdr 00:01:02:03:04:05
    or
    sudo ifconfig en0 ether 00:01:02:03:04:05
    This must be done as the superuser and only works for the computer's ethernet card. Instructions on spoofing AirPort Extreme (2.0) cards are available here. There are not, as of yet, any known ways to spoof original AirPort (1.0) cards.
    The AirPort Extreme MAC address can also be changed easily with SpoofMac.
    Windows
    Under Windows XP, the MAC address can be changed in the Ethernet adapter's Properties menu, in the Advanced tab, as "MAC Address", "Locally Administered Address", "Ethernet Address" or "Network Address". The exact name depends on the Ethernet driver used; not all drivers support changing the MAC address in this way.
    However, a better solution - requiring Administrative User Rights - is to pass over the System Registry Keys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Here settings for each network interface can be found. The contents of the string value called 'NetworkAddress' will be used to set the MAC address of the adapter when next it is enabled. Resetting the adapter can be accomplished in script with the freely available command line utility devcon from Microsoft, or from the adapters context menu in the Network Connections control panel applet.
    There is a nice tool to change the MAC address for all cards (even those that can't be changed through the adapter's Properties menu): SMAC MAC Address Changer
    Note: to check your MAC address easily on a Windows XP box, go to Run, type CMD, then type "ipconfig /all" without quotation in the command prompt. The number under physical address is the MAC address. If multiple IP are displayed, you should look under the label "Ethernet adapter x", where x is the name of your connection (which is Local Area Connection by default).
    Router
    The method to change the MAC address of a router varies with the router. Not all routers have the ability to change their MAC address. The feature is often referred to as "clone MAC address". This take the MAC address of one of the machine on your network and replaces the router's existing MAC address with it. Some support the option to manually enter the MAC address.

14. sbovisjb1

sbovisjb1 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

You can't permanently change it without replacing the NIC. However, it can be temporarily changed via ifconfig. You could write a script that will change it on boot, but that's a workaround, not a permanent solution.

15. Edalin Cam

Edalin Cam New Member

Mac address can't change, I've already search allot on this topic, but didn't find any appropriate result.

16. huojianxixi

huojianxixi New Member

І'm surрrіsеd іt hаsn't bееn mеntіоnеd уеt, but І hаvе аlwауs usеd ЅМАС tо сhаngе mу МАС аddrеss оn Wіndоws.
    PHP:
    http://www.klcconsulting.net/smac/
    Іt іs соmраtіblе wіth Wіndоws 2000, ХР, 2003, VІЅТА, 2008, Wіndоws 7. Іt's а bіt dаtеd but уоu mау bе аblе tо gеt іt tо wоrk аnd рlау nісе wіth Wіndоws 8. Тhеу hаvе а ЅМАС 2.7 bеtа thаt mіght hаvе а bеttеr сhаnсе оf suссееdіng.

Once you do get it working, it works like a charm and I've always had great luck with it.