Problem in new kernel

Discussion in 'Kernel Questions' started by boytomski, Apr 30, 2010.

1. boytomski

boytomski New Member

Hello,

I've just make a new kernal on SUSE 10.2 following the 'how to make a kernel on SUSE' guide.

All seemed to go well. However, when I reboot I can chooses the new kernel. Straight after this I get the message 'waiting for /dev/sda6 to appear'. After a few seconds I get a $ prompt.

My old kernel boots of sda6 with no problem & I can't see why my new kernel won't boot as it was based on the old kernel .config.

Thanks in advance for all your help, it'll be much appreciated,

Tom.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

What's in /boot/grub/menu.lst?

3. boytomski

boytomski New Member

I'm afraid I can't do screen dumps as the fault is on a stand alone system.

However, /boot/grub/menu.lst looks fine.

The original kernel boots of sda6 fine as expected. The menu.lst shows '0,5' as the hard drive and partition location.

The new kernal has exactly the same '0,5' as a boot location and has a valid vmlinuz and initrd file location.

When I made the kernel, I based it on the working kernel .config file so all should be well.

However, the new kernel doesn't seem to be able to see the hard drive partition sda6 on boot up.

I'll see if I can get any more menu.lst info to you soon.

Thanks again for your help,

Tom.

4. falko

Maybe it's a problem with your ramdisk?

5. boytomski

boytomski New Member

I presume the ramdisk is made by 'mkinird'.

That seemed to work and I have a mkinitrd file with the correct title. I've added this initrd file in the boot loader.

How do I check to see if this file is OK?

Also, what does it do? I'm a bit fuzzy on this area.

Thanks again,

Tom.

6. falko

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initrd

Can you post your /etc/fstab and the output of
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    ?

7. neda_zzz01

neda_zzz01 New Member

i think it is a problem withe your ramdisk

8. nassmarine

nassmarine New Member

Alright so I decided that I was going to just clean my R4i out so I deleted everything that was on it and just downloaded the V1.11 kernel. I don't know if what I did was wrong, but I just placed what ever was in that file besides the file with the read me's on the R4i...now when I turn the R4i on it just says Loading.....and it's been like this for a couple of minutes...what did I do wrong..or what must I do..