Autoresponse uses FROM not REPLY-TO address

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by harrop_mark, Jun 21, 2010.

1. harrop_mark

harrop_mark New Member

I set up Falko's autoresponder on a centos server running the postfix mail install provided by iRedMail.

It works great, so thanks alot Falko.

I have one problem though which I hope you might be able to help me with. It relates to the way jobserve.com sends mail (but I'm sure they are not the only ones). I've set up a system whereby adverts I place on jobserve.com, have a mailbox associated with them which should autoreply each applicant with further instructions/information about the roles I advertise there.

Although your script works fine in ALL other tests, it fails to respond to mails generated from jobserve. I've examined the header coming from jobserve emails and think I've spotted the problem (see below - email details changed):

Received: from xss15.mail.jobserve.com (HELO xss15.mail.jobserve.com) (193.xx.xx.xxx)
    by server-11.tower-149.messagelabs.com with SMTP; 20 Jun 2010 22:59:59 -0000
    Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 22:59:58 +0100
    TO: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
    Reply-To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
    X-Priority: 3
    X-Mailer: JobServe-XSS.2.0.0
    -------------------------------------
    In the above, the applicant was a [email protected], but that was only sent as a display name of the sender (whereas the real FROM email address is the generic [email protected]

Using a mail client (i.e. manually replying to the mail above) works fine presumably becuase the mail client uses the "reply-to" value ([email protected]) value, whereas I'm guessing your autoresponse script uses the FROM email address value ([email protected])

Any ideas on how I could get your script to use the Reply-to address instead of the FROM?

Have been pulling my hair out trying to find a solution, so any help would be appreciated.
    And thanks for your script - it works a treat, and your documentation is great.
    Mark

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  2. harrop_mark

harrop_mark New Member

Maybe it should be able to handle both scenarios?

Thinking about this some more, and realising that not all emails supply a REPLY-TO address, it would be great if the autoresponse used REPLY-TO when it was present, or just FROM if it was the only field available.

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Did you install the latest autoresponse version?

4. harrop_mark

harrop_mark New Member

latest version

Hi Falko, checked my version and it's 1.6.3 which is the same as the version on your nefaria page.

Is there not something I can do with this line in the master.cf to make it use REPLY-TO address

autoresponder unix - n n - - pipe
    flags=Fq user=autoresponse argv=/usr/local/sbin/autoresponse -s ${sender} -r ${recipient} -S ${sasl_username} -C ${client_address}

like change the ${sender} variable to something else?

would really appreciate a steer, thanks