FTP as Admin

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by clammy77, Sep 10, 2010.

1. clammy77

clammy77 New Member

Hi,

Is there any way to FTP into the server as the superadmin, and be able to see everything and modify everything? I'm trying to do this so that i can more easily modify the css/theme of ispconfig.

Edward

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This can not be possible as every website runs under its won linux user and group. So every file that you would upload or modify as root user would be owned by the wrong user.

3. clammy77

clammy77 New Member

Thanks for your reply bud. So how do I modify ISPConfig's looks? Seems like if they're all locked in, I can't really do much w/ it unless if i edit them straight from SSH?

Edward

4. till

I dont understand what you mean. Please explain a bit more.

5. clammy77

clammy77 New Member

What I mean is that...if you want to change the header of ISPConfig, you will need access to /usr/local/ispconfig/, however, through ftp, you are locked into your home folder. How do you modify the theme, and change your header img and what not if access if not permitted.

6. till

use scp and not ftp, e.g. with winscp. SCP allows logins as root user.

7. clammy77

clammy77 New Member

Man, you are mighty helpful. Thanks SO MUCH! let me try it out :)

nice to have ppl helping noobs out :)

8. clammy77

clammy77 New Member

speaking of which, do you know any scripts like Installatron that can be used with ISPConfig?

9. clammy77

clammy77 New Member

Okay, so I've logged into WinSCP, but the ISPConfig folder under /usr/local perhaps is assigned to another user. Is it save to chown that folder to my root user?

10. till

No, this will break the whole setup. Just upload the changed image file as root user and afterwards chown the file on the shell to the ispconfig user and group.

11. clammy77

clammy77 New Member

Quick question. i've logged in as WinSCP, and I am trying to modify files in etc/apache2, but obviously the owner of that folder is not me also. Usually, do you change the folder ownership to yourself and then change it back to ispconfig afterwards?

12. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I suggest you log in with WinSCP as the root user if you want to change files in /etc/apache2.