How does "System -> Software Packages" work?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by juan_g, Sep 14, 2010.

1. juan_g

juan_g New Member

I'm trying to reinstall phpMyAdmin for ISPConfig 3.0.2.2, since it does not appear in "Tools". I've had no success using "System -> Software Packages", trying to download a phpMyAdmin package (*.deb) listed in http://packages.ubuntu.com . I get an error ("Ajax Request was not successful") for Packages when I enable http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu in Repositories.

Please, how does "System -> Software Packages" work? Thank you very much.

2. juan_g

juan_g New Member

ISPConfig documentation

I've been unable to find this in the ISPConfig documentation. Of course, before asking here, I've looked for it in places like the following:

Also, I've searched this forum. The only related answers I've found are in the first link, specifically: Additional Software, and Update Manager. But this seems to be for ISPConfig 1. The version 3 I've installed is different, and those instructions don't seem to work for it.

Any help, or link to suitable documentation, would be very appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  3. juan_g

juan_g New Member

No software packages for ISPConfig 3?

I'm very new to ISPConfig, and not sure if .deb packages (Debian, Ubuntu...) would be managed by ISPConfig, or only .pkg are accepted. Does anyone know about this?

I was trying to use a .deb package from Ubuntu to install phpMyAdmin, because I cannot find any .pkg sofware package for ISPConfig 3, but there are a number of them for the version 2.

I'm now thinking probably there are only .pkg packages for ISPConfig 2, and ISPConfig 3 is a new version not ready yet to install packages. Is that correct?

If this is so, then probably ISPConfig 3 is not ready yet for several other things. I'm now considering to downgrade to ISPConfig 2 for now, if anyone can confirm that ISPConfig 3 is in this early stage. Thank you.

4. lucani

lucani Member HowtoForge Supporter

ISPConfig 3 is NOT in this early stage. Its just not so often updating.
    I think that this section (Software Packages) is still under construction.
    You can install phpMyAdmin by apt-get install phpmyadmin.

5. juan_g

juan_g New Member

Yes, I had installed phpMyAdmin already in this way (apt-get install phpmyadmin) before installing ISPConfig 3, which has recognized and integrated other well-known server software automatically, but not phpMyAdmin, at least in my case. Because of this, I was trying to reinstall it from within ISPConfig.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  6. juan_g

juan_g New Member

Symlink solution

I've just created a symlink /var/www/[new alias] pointing to the directory /usr/share/phpmyadmin (I prefer SFTP -WinSCP- rather than command line -PuTTY- to make symlinks). Now phpMyAdmin can be accessed with a browser from http://[IP number]/[new alias].

Since I would also like some integration of phpMyAdmin in ISPConfig, I've added this http://... address to System -> Interface Config -> Sites -> PHPMyAdmin URL. The Tools tab doesn't show phpMyAdmin yet, however when I add a database in Sites -> Database one of the icons that appear is linking correctly to phpMyAdmin.

So I guess this is it.

7. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I'm just about to finish the ISPConfig 3 manual. It will be available in a few weeks. :)

8. Horfic

Horfic Member

I'm pleased to anounce that one of the first software packages for ISPConfig 3 will be a webmailer package including Roundcube and my Mailuser interface. Installed in just an instant^^

What I know the Software package part should be able to install it with the release of the ISPConfig 3.0.3, but no garantie on that and I only know that installing is yet in it, no remove or update.

9. juan_g

juan_g New Member

Falko, thanks for the next ISPConfig 3 manual. Until then, I think I'm going to see if the administrator manual included in the ISPConfig 2 documentation can be partially used for ISPConfig 3. The ISPConfig3 Community User Manual is good but just for basic use, so a complete ISPConfig 3 manual is really needed.

Horfic, thanks as well for your note on the new webmailer package and the next ISPConfig 3.0.3 with package support.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  10. falko

No, this doesn't work, as ISPConfig 3 is totally different from ISPConfig 2.

11. juan_g

juan_g New Member

Working well in a new installation

phpMyAdmin was working fine with that symlink on a test site, but for other reasons I've installed again Linux and ISPConfig 3 in the same VPS, this time on Debian 5.0 instead of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, since Debian seems to be the most supported Linux distribution for ISPConfig. I've followed The Perfect Server - Debian Lenny (Debian 5.0) [ISPConfig 3].

This time, phpMyAdmin is working correctly at example.com/phpmyadmin after installing ISPConfig 3, with no need for that symlink, etc. I'm not sure why fixing it was necessary the first time, perhaps I did some mistake during the installation.

There is also a tutorial to Protect phpMyAdmin On An ISPConfig 3 Server (Debian), by a new URL and an additional password request.

12. juan_g

juan_g New Member

Yes, looking at the demos on ispconfig.org, they seem different indeed.

BTW, the ISPConfig 3 demo is now a preview of the next version, 3.0.3, with icons that I don't see in the current 3.0.2.2:

Help -> About ISPConfig -> Version

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  13. falko

The ISPConfig 3 manual is finally available (in PDF format)!

On nearly 300 pages, it covers the concept behind ISPConfig (admin, resellers, clients), explains how to install and update ISPConfig 3, includes a reference for all forms and form fields in ISPConfig together with examples of valid inputs, and provides tutorials for the most common tasks in ISPConfig 3. It also lines out how to make your server more secure and comes with a troubleshooting section at the end.

Version 1.0 for ISPConfig 3.0.3 (Date: 09/30/2010)
    Author: Falko Timme <[email protected]>
    299 pages

The manual can be downloaded from these two links:

http://www.ispconfig.org/ispconfig-3/ispconfig-3-manual/
    http://www.howtoforge.com/download-the-ispconfig-3-manual

Now the bad news: we can’t offer it for free. But it will be available for as low as 5 EUR per copy – we think this price is more than fair for a manual with nearly 300 pages.

Why Do We Charge For The ISPConfig 3 Manual?

We hope that this will allow us to employ an additional full-time ISPConfig developer who can disburden the core team. This would accelerate ISPConfig development a lot and also allow us to provide more support for ISPConfig users.