Newb: Please get me started on a Drupal multisite install

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Slowhand, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Slowhand

Slowhand New Member

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right forum for this...

I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 LTS...

I want to set up about four sites, each running the same instance of Drupal, for ease of maintenance.

The sites *do not* want to share users etc, although at least one will be using subdomains.

What is the best way to go about this?

So far I have created all the sites in ISPc3, along with their databases.

I have downloaded Drupal 6 into /usr/share/drupal

Do I create a symlink from /usr/share/drupal to each of my sites?
    Perhaps I just symlink /usr/share/drupal/sites to each of my sites?

Should I *copy* the /usr/share/drupal/sites folder to each of my sites?

Get me started please :)

Slowhand

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  2. tom

tom Member

3. Slowhand

Slowhand New Member

Tom,

Thanks for the links.

I'd seen the first one but wasn't confident to apply it to my setup.

Am I right in thinking that the Drupal 'default' directory just needs to be *copied* into each of the sites I created with ISPc3? I then run the install.php file from each of the sites?

I installed Drupal on a different server as a single instance and remember the installer asking whether I wanted a single or a multi site install.

If I answer 'Multisite', what is it going to do?

I'm just going to have to go for it aren't I...?

S

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Normally you want to use a single site install and not a multisite install. Miltisite installs are only used if you have so many drupal sites that you want to share the same login and other resources.

5. Slowhand

Slowhand New Member

Till,

Thanks for coming to the rescue. You know how dim I am...

I'd like all the sites to share all resources such as themes and modules but *not* users.

I found
    http://drupal.org/node/53705

What I planned to do is to unpack drupal into /var/share. Already done.
    Then copy the file structure in the page linked above for each of my sites.
    Then symlink the example.com directory to the web folder of the site I created in ISPc3.

Does this make sense?

My problem is, how do I run the install.php file for each of my sites? It's outside the drupal/sites/example.com directory...

Do I just edit the settings.php file for each site?

S

6. till

Does not make much sense in my opinion and will result in a very unsecure setup as you will not be able to use any security functions like suexec for your setup.

To setup drupal, create a website in ispconfig, download a drupal single server install into the web dierctory o the site, unpack it and runn install.php

7. Slowhand

Slowhand New Member

Till,

But then I end up with four different instances of drupal to maintain.

I thought the whole point of the Drupal multisite feature was to avoid this?

No?

S

8. till

If you really need a drupa multisite, then do it. But then you should also be aware that you can not enable any security for the 5 sites and when one of your site get hacked you might loose the whole server with all sites on it, not just the drupal sites. But thats just my opinion.

9. Slowhand

Slowhand New Member

Till,

Now you're scaring me...

When you say "you can not enable any security for the 5 sites". Such as what? I very much doubt suexec would be applicable to me as I need to keep things as simple as possible.

What else would I be missing out on, security-wise?

S

10. till

I would not run it on my server like this and I told you that this is my personal opinion. Others might give you other advises, so there si nothing more to say about it. Your setup is fine as long as you run it as intranet server behind a firewall or without any customers on it that might try to cahnge things on your server.

Keeping things as simple as possible means also keeping things for attackers as simple as possible to hack your server.

11. Slowhand

Slowhand New Member

Till,

Multiple instances it is then.

I'd still like to know what other security I would be missing out on though...

S

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  12. Liam_Mc

Liam_Mc New Member

Hi Slowhand,

I think I have the same dilemma now as you had on this thread - I'd like to install Drupal multisite on a ISPconfig server but don't want it to cause too many problems/conflicts or security risks, and I'm pretty new to it all. It looks like you went for multiple single site installations of Drupal in the end - did this work for you or have you looked into the multisite option any more since?

Best wishes,

Liam

13. Slowhand

Slowhand New Member

Liam,

I actually chickened out and went for individual installs in the end, not the multisite install.

Till advised this approach for security reasons. The argument being that one hack could own many sites as opposed to just one.

I have to say it's a major pain to have to upgrade several sites rather than just one though... ;-)

S

14. Liam_Mc

Liam_Mc New Member

Thanks for your reply - I think I'll probably do the same.
    Liam

15. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

Till

install drupa multisites in ispconfig 3 server, if ignore the security temporarily at this stage, how to overcome the security constraint when setting up multisites?

16. esezako

esezako Member

suscribing