Billing Module?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by makensy13, Dec 26, 2010.

1. makensy13

makensy13 New Member

Hello,

Is it possible to have a clear answer regarding the billing module for ISPConfig 3.

Indeed, on the forum can find a little of everything but it's not very clear.

Does it Yes or No to a billing module ISPConfig3?

If Yes, the provision is expected when?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Thank you again

Sincerely,

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The billing module is nearly finished and it is used in production by some testes for a while to find the last problems before we release it to the public. We will make a online demo available in january.

3. makensy13

makensy13 New Member

Onile Demo Or Download it?

Ok, thanks for your reply.
    Version will only be accessible online demo or you can download it?
    Thank you, Till for your reply and your responsiveness.
    Sincerely,

4. till

The test version will only be available as online demo. We might make a test version aailable for download later to a limited number of testers.

5. makensy13

makensy13 New Member

Thank You,Till

How to be a tester?

I use ISPCONFIG2 for 4 years and I am setting up a server ISPConfig 3.

Thank you again for your reply. Excuse me for my English because I'm French.

Sincerely,

6. till

The first beta version of the ISPConfig billing module is available as online demo now:

http://appsdemo.ispconfig.org

user: admin
    password: demo

7. makensy13

makensy13 New Member

Till thank you.

Do you know about the first version will be made available to the community?

Thank you again for your job.

Sincerely,

8. till

The billing addon will be released soon, it needs just some final bugfixes and the remote api functions need to be added. The price for the addon will be 59 EUR. A licence is needed for a interface server only, so if you run a cluster with 1 interface and 5 webservers, 2mailservers and 2 dns server, you need just 1 license.

9. makensy13

makensy13 New Member

ISPConfig will not be free!!

Thank you, Till

So if I understand correctly ISPConfig will not be a product OpenSource but gradually moves to a proprietary product.
    The add ons are paying and will therefore restrial time.
    It is the ultimate goal ISPConfig? A product that will be distinguished in two versions:
    - The version of the community -> Features basics.
    - The paid version -> The set of all the features (with documentation).

I begin to have real doubts about the finalization of the product.

Can we say more!

Thank you for your sincerity.

Sincerely,

10. mike_p

mike_p Member

Clearly anyone who wants the billing module is making money from their use of ISPConfig. Why shouldn't the creators earn some money from that?

Or to put it another way, if ISPConfig is free for you to use, why don't you provide hosting services for your clients for free. Then you won't need a billing module.

11. makensy13

makensy13 New Member

I understand your position but in this case in version 2, should not integrate the billing module. When we look more closely Opensource applications using the community to develop the product, thousands of free tester, then integrates the modules pay.
    It might be more interested in letting users make a donation to support the team.
    I recall that open source solutions exist and are completely free.

http://www.openpanel.com
    http://www.syscp.org/
    http://www.gplhost.com/software-dtc.html ---> OpenSource and oriented to commercial exploitation.

You tell me why I chose ISPConfig? The answer is that I have been using version 2.0 and I am familiar with the software.
    I was convinced he would still be free and the community has been actively developing improved after at least thousands of feedback from us.

That's all.

Sincerely,

12. till

Why did you do not complain about WHMCS then? WHMCS is a billing system with a much higher price which can be used with ispconfig too. So you complain here that we wrote a billing system for ispconfig but you do not complain that others did the same thing. The WHMCS System exists for quite some time.

Nobody that uses ispconfig at home, in a educational area, as office or company mail and webserver needs a billing system. When you need a billing system, then you run a hosting company and make money out of ispconfig. So If I read your complaints right, you complain here that we do not work enough without being paid for your company to enable you to make money esaier with ispconfig? Our company pays already for at least 98% of the code that gets added to ISPConfig and we offer several hours of free support per day here in the forum. So do you really think that your rants here are appropriate?

You did not understand correctly. Nobody said that ispconfig will become a commercial product nor that there will be a commercial version of ispconfig.

No. There is no commercial version of ispconfig planned.

You mix up several things here:

1) ISPConfig is free and will be free. It is licensed under a open source license (bsd license). The Billing module was never a part of ispconfig 3 nor was it in the roadmap for ISPConfig 3. If you want to write a free billingmodule for ispconfig, then fel free to do that.
    2) The Billing module is a addon for ISPConfig and not ISPConfig itself. Everybody can write addons for ispconfig and publish them either for free or sell them. Thats up to the developer that writes the addon.

Which does not work.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  13. Antennipasi

Antennipasi Member

Althought this does not sound likely scenario, i don't see any problem about it either.

I am having a hard time to understand complaints about paid extensions, not in ISPConfig nor any other opensource software. If i need that feature, i will buy it. Joomla-templates is millionbusines, most features of openQRM is paid by someone in need, Proxmox has it's commercial side with sponsors and so on. This is not any new thing, people have to eat, opensource or not.

Sometimes feature is allready available, sometimes i have to pay someone to make it, if i can't do it myself. That is the beaty in opensource, not that one can make money without spending it.

For example, we did just buy WHMCS-module for ISPConfig. So far only in test-phase, but code looks great. Our project does also other things we can charge clients, so this billing module is not enough for us.

And no, i did have nothing to do with development either of these modules, and thus i don't get any money from them.

14. makensy13

makensy13 New Member

Hello, Till

I recall that I have absolutely nothing against ISPConfig. I love this product and also appreciates the whole team who bring with them time and investment in this software.

Presented as you made me understand and I assure you I have absolutely no intention of arguing about the principle of charge add ons.

I think the fact that in version 2 everything was integrated, version 3 will follow the same principle.

I recall that I am fully satisfied with the support on the forum and I also support the development team.

Seen like this, I have nothing to say and thank you again for your availability and reliability.

Sincerely,

Mak

15. pcurran

pcurran Member

I only see prices in EUR? No $US Dollars?

Till:

Will the first release also have $US Dollars prices?
    thank you