How to install synaptic to Debian 6?

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Ariya, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Ariya

Ariya New Member

Well, I actually didn't want to install Debian 6. It had bugs in the CD1, and because of a challenge, I downloaded it and installed it. Took quite a time to install in a Core 2 Duo, 2,4GHz, 4GB ram laptop.

Now, I have to install some software, so I want to start with synaptic or kpakage (this a Debian -KDE version) I went through your tutorial (http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-debian-squeeze-p3), and added all the sources through Nano, and finally I tried "aptitude update" (Debian website says it is now Aptitude, not apt-get).
    Below is the reply;
    root@debian:~# aptitude update
    Failed to exec method /usr/lib/apt/methods/
    Failed to exec method /usr/lib/apt/methods/
    E: Method has died unexpectedly!
    E: Sub-process returned an error code (100)
    E: Method /usr/lib/apt/methods/ did not start correctly
    E: Method has died unexpectedly!
    E: Sub-process returned an error code (100)
    E: Method /usr/lib/apt/methods/ did not start correctly

Debain is becoming a bit of a headache, while there are many Debian forks that work perfectly, but I'd like to try this and go all the way, even though it is taking heck of a time.

What am I to do with this /usr/lib/apt/methods/?
    All I need is to install synaptic or kpackage.

I downloaded the .deb synaptic package for correct architecture, but dpkg -i won't work, and wants some dependencies, and when I try to install these dependencies it refuses (I downloaded all dependencies too)

Thanks beforehand!
    Ariya

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Instead of aptitude you can use apt as well to install software. Try:

apt-get update

and then:

apt-get install synaptic

If this does not work, please post the sources.list file from your system.

3. Ariya

Ariya New Member

found a way out

Thanks fo r the reply, but it didn't work with the Debian 6 KDE CD1 installation CD.
    Then a person told me that there are Live DVDs, so I downloaded one, and it installed within 10 mins, too long though. Synaptic was there. The Debian tean is playing games with us by NOT directing to the Live DVD website. I see lot of people wasting their time and bandwidth by downloading the CDs abd DVDs even through bittorrent.

If anyone reads this, and wants to have Debian 6 somehow and don't want to waste time and nerves, LOOK for the Live DVDs.

Thank you again!

Ari

4. Ariya

Ariya New Member

found a way out

Thanks for the reply, but it didn't work with the Debian 6 KDE CD1 installation CD.
    Then a person told me that there are Live DVDs, so I downloaded one, and it installed within 10 mins, too long though. Synaptic was there. The Debian tean is playing games with us by NOT directing to the Live DVD website. I see lot of people wasting their time and bandwidth by downloading the CDs and DVDs even through bittorrent.

If anyone reads this, and wants to have Debian 6 somehow and don't want to waste time and nerves, LOOK for the Live DVDs.

Thank you again!

Ari