switching to being my own DNS server

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by ortheother, Apr 18, 2011.

1. ortheother

ortheother New Member

I am a novice when it comes to Linux. I know enough about openSUSE linux that I have functioned well with it the last few years under the scenario mentioned below.

I have been running a hosting service for a few years on my own server using the nameservers of the domain provider (DirectNic). I have 5 static IP addresses provided by cable company including primary and secondary IP addresses (not sure what you call those) and the gateway IP. I have been using a third party mail server for several years (surgemail).

I have been operating smoothly, but the hassles with Surgemail every time I moved to a new server box plus wanting to bring my DNS server settings to maximum compliance has motivated me set up my server with my own nameservers.

To start, I selected a service from DirectNIC where they generated 2 nameservers for me -- ns0.tjflix.com and ns1.tjflix.com.
    These nameservers point to the primary and secondary nameserver IP addresses of my cable company. The cable co. tech suggested I use those. Each of these are a different IP address.

Would this be your understanding?

Also, the tech with the cable company set up a PTR for the static IP address I am using in getting this new server up. I will add the other 4 when this first is up and running.

Your Perfect Server how-to says nothing about setting up the apache2 virtual servers. Since there was nothing about that in the how-to, I was assuming that maybe this was not necessary -- especially since your tutorial has me using the repositories after setting up the yast2 Network Settings. (Again, I am a novice -- but really haven't even earned that belt yet).

In other words, after setting up Network Settings, I no longer have internet access to continue with the tutorial.

I followed all the way thru with ISPConfig 3 -- but the problems I am having there..? Well, I am quite certain are rooted in the problems stated above.

Another note, which may or may not be helpful: I tried to install OpenSUSE 11.4 x86_64 -- wouldn't work on my AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 3800+... so I installed openSUSE 11.4 i586. And having done so adjusted the command lines where appropriate in the tutorial -- I think!

I am desperate. I have clients who are about to lose their patience with me in getting their sites back up. The same concerning my down email service. I need help desperately!

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

This is done through ISPConfig which you install at the end of the tutorial.

How exactly did you configure your network? Is the server located in a local network (behind a router), or is it connected directly to the Internet (through the five static IPs)?

3. ortheother

ortheother New Member

falko - Thanks for getting back to me.

Concerning your information about apache configuration being in ISPConfig -- I am going through that now. Once I get thru DNS settings -- will discover that I am sure.

Regarding:

Yes, it is behind a simple Netgear FS105 router. The router has been there all along with old setup.

In the old setup -- I just included the other domains and netmask under additional Addresses in the Yast2 Network Card Setup -- and had my Virtual Host Settings in Apache. The best I recall, that was the only configuration involved on my part -- if that tells you anything.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

What's your router's internal IP address, and what IP addresses did you configure on your OpenSUSE system?