Perfect server setup: problem with mail

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by docdries, Apr 19, 2011.

1. docdries

docdries New Member

Hi to all, please forgive me when my English is bad its not my native language.

I have follow the howto The Perfect Server - Debian Squeeze (Debian 6.0[ISPConfig 2] without ISPConfig 2 (dont need it).
    My problem is this after setup tried to get my mail on a windows machine with outlook, what ever i tried it doesn't work. Than i realised that i must open port 995 on my router, after this whas done there are comes a flood off mails and all come every 30 minutes so after a while there are a lot off these :)

The mails i get are:

Code:
    Return-Path: <[email protected]>
    X-Original-To: root
    Delivered-To: [email protected]
    Received: by server.xxxxxxxxxxxx.nl (Postfix, from userid 0)
    	id 70C0F69F02; Mon, 18 Apr 2011 23:09:01 +0200 (CEST)
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Cron <root@server>   [ -x /usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime ] && [ -d /var/lib/php5 ] && find /var/lib/php5/ -type f -cmin +$(/usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime) -delete
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
    X-Cron-Env: <SHELL=/bin/sh>
    X-Cron-Env: <HOME=/root>
    X-Cron-Env: <PATH=/usr/bin:/bin>
    X-Cron-Env: <LOGNAME=root>
    Message-Id: <[email protected]>
    Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 23:09:01 +0200 (CEST)
    this are all the mails i get, and nothing more. When i tried to send a mail to [email protected] i get this message:

Code:
    Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

[email protected]

Technical details of permanent failure:
    Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 554 554 5.7.1 <[email protected]>: Relay access denied (state 14).

Please can someone tell me what did i wrong? And how can i restore this? I must point out i'm a newbie with linux so....please be patient...:D:D

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Using the system without ispconfig is quite complicated, so if you are a newbee, I recommend that you install ispconfig.

If you really want to use the system without ispconfig, then you have to configure every mail account and mail domain manually in the postfix files and add Linux system users manually.

The email domain has to be listed in the file /etc/postfix/local-host-name
    The email address and corresponding linux system user have to be configured in the file /etc/postfix/virtusertable and afterwards you have to create the hashed version of the file with:

postmap /etc/postfix/virtusertable

as third part of your mail setup, you have to create a Linux shall user (e.g. with the adduser command) which is used to access the mailbox.

Please post the content of the /etc/postfix/local-host-name and /etc/postfix/virtusertable files to see if the mailbox is configured correctly there.

3. docdries

docdries New Member

Hi Till, thanks for the quick respons. As i point out i thought that i don't need ISPconfig, because it is a server for learning purpose only. There are only 2 site's werking on, one for myself and the other for the little bussiness of my doughter. And the last one is not a urgent matter because that is now still running on the host space off the provider. So that is a little info that maybe can help to understand me and my goal.

What your question about the 2 postfix files they are not present so i think that I must learn to add user and so, thus I will search for more info about the postfix install.

Maybe you can point me to the right direction? These matters are not told in te howto btw.

greets and thanks for your effort.

3S.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The turorial that you used is the installation guide for ispconfig 2. So to get a fully working server, the guide assumes that you install all required software incl. ispconfig 2.

If you want to learn how postfiux works and which configuration options it offers, then you might want to start here:

http://www.postfix.org/documentation.html

The files get added and managed by ispconfig. So if you dont want to use ispconfig, you will have to add and manage these files manually.

I guess if you want to learn how a system works, its much easier to install it completely and then check how it works instead of installing it partly which results in a not working system and then try to repair and manage it manually.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  5. docdries

docdries New Member

Hi Till,

Offcourse it is not my intention to comment the more than helpfull howto's undermine, but the howto says:

So my belief was that it was not needed sorry that i will point this out.:D:D

Futher i will follow your advise and try to install ISPconfig and try of I can see and learn of this or that i will try to set it up manually.

Thanks for your commentand have a nice day.

3S.