Local e-mail

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Roelco, May 30, 2011.

1. Roelco

Roelco New Member

I set up my server using "The Perfect Server - Debian Squeeze (Debian 6.0) With BIND & Courier [ISPConfig 3]." After finishing and setting the DNS records at GODADDY, everything works from external locations (e-mail, web page, FTP). The problem is that I can't connect to the server from the local network. I'm sure that it is something I overlooked but I can't seem to find it. Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Joe

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please try to use the internal IP address of the server as smtp and pop3 server in your email client.

3. Roelco

Roelco New Member

I got it working last night by placing entries in the hosts file of the client computer. I don't want to have to do that for each of the clients here at the office unless I have to.

Till, thanks for the reply. Did you mean 192.168.1.101 (server IP) or srv1.roelco.com (server name)? Is there a smother way to specify this for internal use. I use linux and thunderbird for my client but the rest of the shop is windows and outlook.

Thanks for your help.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I mean the IP address of the Server (192.168.1.101). To use the hostname, you would have to edit the hosts files on all computers in your network as you did already.

5. Roelco

Roelco New Member

Used the IP address of the server and it all worked. I think that it is worth noting that when addressing the server from the local network the user name must include the the URL that the mail system was setup on. ie. [email protected] etc.

Thanks for the help. I consider this thread closed.

Joe