no incoming mail

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by darthpaul, May 11, 2006.

1. darthpaul

darthpaul New Member

We had almost two weeks since my last issue. Today we stopped getting any incoming mail. Our spam filter is reporting emails coming in and is forwarding them to the email server running ispconfig, but no emails are coming through to the users.

I tested an admin email account in outlook and it says it cannot get a response from the pop3 service.

Virtusertable is good and the recycle bin has been behaving since I updated php. No errors in the log file, no lock files, conf files are good.

How do I check to ensure the incoming mail service is running? If it is down how do I ensure that it starts at boot?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PG

2. darthpaul

darthpaul New Member

one more note...

I am able to make account changes in the web interface, and it shows me all the correct accounts and aliases.

The admin email account is a catchall, and it is catching emails for account that do (or should exist).

So it could be that the pop3 service is down (I don't know how to check for this) or the ispconfig is showing me what I want to see, but in fact has no local user accounts on the server.

PG

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You can check the services in ISPConfig in Management -> Server -> Services, or you can run
    Code:
    netstat -tap
    or
    Code:
    ps aux
    to see if POP3 is up and running.

4. darthpaul

darthpaul New Member

more clues to the issue

I just found that the mail is being held in /var/spool/mail/<username> so the mail is coming into the server, but no one can get it. I thought the mail was going to /home/www/web6/user/<username> until yesterday.

What could have caused the change?

PG

5. falko

You can flush the queue with
    Code:
    postsuper -r ALL
    Then check your mail log with
    Code:
    tail -f /path/to/maillog
    to see if there are errors.

6. darthpaul

darthpaul New Member

issue resolved, but not understood....

So we went two days without email service. We were only able to restore service by re-creating every user account via the ispconfig interface. I do not understand what caused this to happen, or how to prevent it in the future.

All of the mail started being held in /var/spool/mail and there seemed to be no way to identify why or to force the email back into /home/www/web6/user folders.

Any ideas?

PG

7. falko

Do/did you see any errors in your mail log?

8. darthpaul

darthpaul New Member

sample errors from outage dates

mailsvr1 postfix/smtpd[17737]: fatal: file /etc/postfix/main.cf: parameter mail_owner: unknown user name value: postfix
    mailsvr1 postfix/smtp[24696]: fatal: unknown user: postfix
    mailsvr1 pop3d: LOGIN FAILED, ip=[::ffff:10.1.1.62]
    mailsvr1 pop3d: TIMEOUT, user=email_admin, ip=[::ffff:10.1.1.43], top=0, retr=0, time=300
    mailsvr1 postfix/postfix-script: fatal: usage: postfix start (or stop, reload, abort, flush, check, set-permissions, upgrade-configuration)
    mailsvr1 pop3d: DISCONNECTED, user=email_admin, ip=[::ffff:10.1.1.41], top=0, retr=0, time=1
    mailsvr1 postfix/bounce[2715]: fatal: file /etc/postfix/main.cf: parameter default_privs: unknown user name value: nobody
    mailsvr1 postfix/smtp[19608]: fatal: unknown user: postfix
    mailsvr1 postfix/smtp[32200]: fatal: file /etc/postfix/main.cf: parameter default_privs: unknown user name value: nobody
    mailsvr1 postfix/smtp[30960]: fatal: file /etc/postfix/main.cf: parameter setgid_group: unknown group name: maildrop
    mailsvr1 postfix/bounce[22461]: fatal: file /etc/postfix/main.cf: parameter default_privs: unknown user name value: nobody
    mailsvr1 postfix/smtp[22539]: fatal: file /etc/postfix/main.cf: parameter default_privs: unknown user name value: nobody
    mailsvr1 postfix/smtp[21495]: fatal: unknown user: postfix
    mailsvr1 postfix/smtp[1544]: fatal: file /etc/postfix/main.cf: parameter setgid_group: unknown group name: maildrop
    mailsvr1 postfix/smtp[5784]: fatal: unknown user: postfix
    mailsvr1 postfix/smtp[18658]: fatal: unknown user: postfix
    mailsvr1 postfix/smtp[28520]: fatal: file /etc/postfix/main.cf: parameter default_privs: unknown user name value: nobody
    mailsvr1 postfix/smtp[26345]: fatal: file /etc/postfix/main.cf: parameter setgid_group: unknown group name: maildrop
    mailsvr1 postfix/smtp[773]: fatal: unknown user: postfix

9. cpcpy

cpcpy New Member

looks like the users "postfix" and "nobody" are gone from your system...

10. falko

And also the group maildrop. Did you change /etc/password and /etc/group?

11. darthpaul

darthpaul New Member

no manual changes made

No manual changes were made to the files in /etc. Are these files dynamic based on changes made in the ispconfig web interface? Two new users were added the day we lost service.

12. falko

Do you have errors in /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/ispconfig.log?