filezilla + phpmyadmin 530 login incorrect

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Wickdaddy, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Wickdaddy

Wickdaddy New Member

I don't know if you offer any support on the subject, but I thought I'd give it a try.

I'm trying to connect filezilla and phpmyadmin, so I can create .php files offline (I got an online account, but not always internet).

I got localhost/phpmyadmin to load just fine. I can get into my database. I even created a new account to try to use giving it all admin privileges. None of this seems to be the problem.

I downloaded the filezilla client. I went to edit the fields, but it won't connect.

Host: user@localhost and localhost
    User: my actual myphpadmin login
    Pass: ******* (same as login pass)
    Port: 21 or leave it blank. I don't think this matters for localhost. Not sure to be exact though.

Command: USER **
    Response: 331 Please specify the password.
    Command: PASS **
    Response: 530 Login incorrect.
    Error: Critical error
    Error: Could not connect to server

I know for a fact that the username and password are correct. I've done this with my main account and the created one.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. mentes

mentes Member

I'm not sure what is your problem.

phpMyAdmin is a web interface for manage MySQL databases.

FileZilla is a FTP client. You can't connect to phpMyAdmin/MySQL with FileZilla

3. Wickdaddy

Wickdaddy New Member

You can't use a FTP to connect to a database?

I'm trying to figure out a way how to build a website from scratch to understand it better. I've been writing code for a couple of years (nothing special), but now I want to figure it out for experience.

I thought an FTP was a place to put .php files that work with the database. The person loads a web page and the file is found in the FTP and then it goes to the database to retrieve the information. Am I wrong in thinking this?

What's the best route to take in trying to do this?

My goal is to be able to write .php files offline as I would with .html + .css files, but I'm not sure how you can do this with .php files.

edit - I already have an online place to do this, but I don't always have a way to access the internet.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  4. mentes

mentes Member

You are trying to run before walk. Forget databases, this is a next step.

You don't need internet for learn php. If you use MS Windows you can install a local server, one can be http://www.easyphp.org/

Then learn how works a remote server, how to upload files through FTP, and at end how to create databases, upload and connect them.

You can start learn php here http://www.php.net/manual/en/tutorial.php

5. Wickdaddy

Wickdaddy New Member

Do you have a tutorial showing how to install something like this for linux?

I don't need to learn php for the most part. I need to learn how to set up an offline place to work with php and it's confusing me. I have an online location, but with limited internet it's hard to do it online.

6. mentes

mentes Member

Which linux?

For Fedora 15: http://www.howtoforge.com/installing-apache2-with-php5-and-mysql-support-on-fedora-15-lamp

For CentOS 6: http://www.howtoforge.com/installing-apache2-with-php5-and-mysql-support-on-centos-6.0-lamp

There are a lot here http://www.howtoforge.com/howtos/web-server

7. Wickdaddy

Wickdaddy New Member

I'm using ubuntu 11.04 and I'm new to it so I'm not exactly sure. thanks for the reply.

I did find out what was wrong with my localhost for the password. I needed to use my actual local host ubuntu login rather than myphpadmin user name which isn't on local host I don't think.

8. mentes

mentes Member

9. Wickdaddy

Wickdaddy New Member

Whenever I was trying to login to my ftp I would use my phpmyadmin login + local host. It wouldn't connect saying password was wrong. I think it was conflicting with the fact that it may be on my local host, but I needed to login in with my computers username and password (which worked) rather than my phpmyadmin login. It was a mistake I was making with that. I'm trying to learn so much in a small amount of time, but I'm ready to learn and fail.

It's all so much to take in because I want to set up a local website through my localhost and I want to be able to make .php files. I will play around with this. thank you though I appreciate it.

Do I need to completely re-install ubuntu to get a fresh set-up?

127.0.0.1 says "it works"
    localhost/phpmyadmin is MySQL

This is wrong? I need to re-do everything so I can create php files?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  10. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

The LAMP tutorial should be fine for your purposes. You can now use a tool like WinSCP to upload your PHP files to the /var/www directory.

Does phpMyAdmin work now? You must use MySQL usernames (like the MySQL user "root") and passwords to log in.