Network Calculator

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by AustinColbert, Oct 16, 2011.

1. AustinColbert

AustinColbert New Member

I read the tutorial on Setting up a Perfect server using CentOS and I am stucked on one thing. How to use that network Calculator? I am not much experienced in IP Address and Gateways, and everything on the Network Calculator page is going above my head.

And What is that additional IP address thing? I thought we only get 1 IP address with our Internet connection?

Please help, I am completely mixed up :S

Thank you!

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

This is if your data center gives you more than one IP, or if you set up your server in your local network at home where you can allocate IP addresses as you like. Of course, using just one IP is perfectly fine.

Please log into your router and find out its internal IP address (something like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or ...). You can then use a free IP address from the same subnet (e.g. 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x or ...) -please take care it is not allocated to any other computer in your subnet, e.g. through DHCP - and use it for your server.

3. AustinColbert

AustinColbert New Member

Thank you for the help Falko,

Can we use any IP address in the 192.168.0.x group? (Dlink router, so internal ip is 192.168.0.1)

And for using that we simply need to put the Ip address (192.168.0.x) while setting up the server?

4. blue_i

blue_i New Member

Let me ask you first?

1.) How many ip addresses that your ISP gave you?
    2.) If it's inside a router network (i.e. DLink router), do you need it to be static or dhcp?

If your ISP gave you at least 2 ip addresses then you can use the other one in your server. This will give you a direct route to the internet as it will by-pass the DLink router, and it's easy to set up such as web server or other related services.Unless, your setting up a private server with DMZ.

Anyway, in Dlink Router you can set it up the range of ip address it will release (i.e from 192.168.0.x to 192.168.0.xxx), it's up to you. And you can set your box in a static ip address, advise is put ip address that easy to remember i.e 192.168.0.100.

5. falko

Any free IP address from the 192.168.0.x subnet (as 192.168.0.1 is used, you can use any free IP between 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.254), e.g. 192.168.0.100 like in the tutorials (if it is free).

Yes.

6. AustinColbert

AustinColbert New Member

Thanks for help!

And what is the minimum network speed required for the internet connection, connected to the server? I mean by your personal experience, the speed under which the server will not function correctly?

7. falko

That depends on how many visitors you have, what kind of content you host (html, video, ...). If you want to offer professional hosting, it's best to have a server in a data center.

8. AustinColbert

AustinColbert New Member

I was going to host my Social Networking website on it. Would 2 Mbps would be fine? Or I should consider VDSL connection with 20 Mbps speed? [VDSL is really expensive :(]

9. falko

You can try with 2 Mbps for a start, and if the service grows you can still switch (or get a rented server, they are not that expensive).