Ubuntu 11.04 x64 + ISPConfig 3 = SASL problems

Discussion in 'General' started by dvazart, Nov 4, 2011.

1. dvazart

dvazart New Member

[SOLVED] Ubuntu 11.04 x64 + ISPConfig 3 = SASL problems

Hi !

I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 x64 with ISPConfig 3.0.3.3 and i have some problems sending mails from an external client like Thunderbird.

In my mail.log i got these errors :

Code:
    SASL PLAIN authentication failed: authentication failure
    SASL LOGIN authentication failed: authentication failure

After hours reading in the forums, i found this thread: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47819&highlight=SASL+PLAIN+authentication+failed Then, checking my config I found that this file is missing : /etc/pam.d/smtp but, this is based in the "Ubuntu 8.04 perfect setup" gide.

So my question is: Is this file needed for my Ubuntu 11.04 setup ?
    If yes: may you help me filling the filling the necessary parameters in this file:

Code:
    auth    required   pam_mysql.so user=mail_admin passwd=mail_admin_password host=127.0.0.1 db=mail table=users usercolumn=email passwdcolumn=password crypt=1
    account sufficient pam_mysql.so user=mail_admin passwd=mail_admin_password host=127.0.0.1 db=mail table=users usercolumn=email passwdcolumn=password crypt=1

If so, I think Falko have to add this to the "Ubuntu perfect setup gides" from Ubuntu 10.* to Ubuntu 11.* because I have searched and does not appear.

I hope thi will solve my problem... if not, what may you recommend to me ? im thinking in replace Courrier for Dovecot and make the SASL authentication directly with Dovecot.

Thanks in advance for your anwers !

Daniel.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The file is created by the ispconfig installer. I guess you might had dovecot installed on the server before and it was not properly removed before ispconfig 3 was installed.

Please run:

apt-get remove --purge dovecot

to ensure that no dovecot files are left on the server. Then download the ispconfig 3 tar.gz again and runthe update.php script and select yes when the updater asks you to reconfigure services.

3. dvazart

dvazart New Member

Thank you very much Till !