question about speed and ip

Discussion in 'General' started by kwickcut, Nov 4, 2011.

1. kwickcut

kwickcut Member HowtoForge Supporter

my internet connection is 1 dynamic ip with 16 megs down and 2.5 megs up with a limit of 250 gigs of transfer per month for 65 bucks a month. i have been going over this limit for the past 3 months and i have been told that i have to upgrade to a business account or risk them turning off my connection once i reach the 250 gig limit.

with a business account i would start out with 5 static ip with 8 megs down and 1.5 up with unlimited transfer per ip and the cost would be 150 a month.

question is can i have 2 static ip on one server and have the combined speed for 16 megs down and 3 megs up. or does it not work that way? how can i reach a good speed for the server

the next business package would give me 16 megs down and 3 megs up but the price is way to much for me at $250 a month

kwick

2. The Other Air Force

The Other Air Force New Member

You can have two IP address and I assume that the bandwidth will be shared over both, but for $65 a month you can get a pretty decent VPS. I use Linode if you want to check it out.

http://www.linode.com/?r=839419cbd8fdf33475cdda1af824e7abed2b83f0

That includes my referral code. Might be more cost effective for you. I ditched my home server just over a year ago and I haven't looked back. I use a Linode 512 and I'm thinking of moving my databases and emails over to another one. Performance is pretty good.

3. kwickcut

thanks for the reply but i am not looking to purchase and server space i am looking to do my own thanks

kwick

4. The Other Air Force

The Other Air Force New Member

The only thing I miss about having my Linux box in house is the heat that kept my feet warm. You can get plenty of unmanaged VPS solutions that are do it yourself. I installed and configured ISPConfig and related services myself. You basically get root access to an empty Linux box.

Thought I'd pass it on.

5. kwickcut

thanks for your reply but it is not what i am looking for...

does anyone have input thanks

kwick

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  6. stone1555

stone1555 New Member

Not to bring up an old topic, but to answer your question, it would be the same speed no matter how many ip's you have. You would just have multiple routes your server, and get 8 x 1.5 speed.

Jeff