bashrc and default home dir

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by wyattbiker, Nov 26, 2011.

1. wyattbiker

wyattbiker New Member

When a user logs in with SSH they are landed in a directory like this

Code:
    /var/www/clients/client6/web7
    1) Where does the .bashrc go? I tried putting it in the web7 directory but seems not to take effect.

I am using this as .bashrc (Copied from root):
    Code:
    # .bashrc

# User specific aliases and functions

alias rm='rm -i'
    alias cp='cp -i'
    alias mv='mv -i'

# Source global definitions
    if [ -f /etc/bashrc ]; then
    	. /etc/bashrc
    fi

#2) After logging in is there a way to put them in their symlink home directory instead. E.g.

Code:
    /var/www/domainname.com
    Thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

1) The shell of jailed users is the jailkit shell, I'am not sure if its reads the .bashrc file as .bashrc is a configuration file of the bash shell. See also here for modifications like a different in jail shell:

http://olivier.sessink.nl/jailkit/jk_chrootsh.8.html

2) Not as far as I know. But a jailed user cant see this path as the dircetory /var/www/clients/client6/web7/ is the directory / for him, so he neither sees /var/www/domainname.com nor /var/www/clients/client6/web7 in that case.

3. wyattbiker

wyattbiker New Member

The user is not jailed. I set up his Chroot Shell account to None.

It seems the Shell User Options Tab has no effect when you change the paths.

The only way I got it to work was to manually change the path of the user in the /etc/passwd file

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please be aware that your setup will break now if the name of the domain is changed in the website settings. To prevent that, ISPConfig uses a path that does not change like /var/www/clients/client6/web7 for websites and shell users.