configure as a secondary mail server

Discussion in 'General' started by xma, Sep 15, 2005.

1. xma

xma New Member

Hi to all,

I looking for in ISPCONFIG if I can configure one domain as a secondary mail server.

For example,
    One domain has his own mail server and I want to add a second MX register that points to my ISPCONFIG box.
    If the first mail server goes down my ISPCONFIG has to recieve all the emails and return to the first mail server when it comes up.

Some thanks in advance

Sorry for my english,

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You can create a secondary MX record for your domain pointing to the ISPConfig system. In ISPConfig you create a new site for that domain and the appropriate users (or a catch-all account).

That cannot be done with ISPConfig. You may have to invent something yourself to achieve this...

3. farao

farao New Member

@xma: take a look at this link. It's the standard postfix configuration-documentation. It states how to set up a secondary mailserver, and it looks easy enough. I'm not entirely sure which postfix you need to edit, since I believe ISPConfig installs its own postfix, but I would assume you need to edit the files in the ispconfig subfolders. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html#backup

Example taken from above link:
    When your system is SECONDARY MX host for a remote site this is all you need:

1 DNS:
    2 the.backed-up.domain.tld IN MX 100 your.machine.tld.
    4 /etc/postfix/main.cf:
    5 relay_domains = . . . the.backed-up.domain.tld
    6 smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
    7 permit_mynetworks reject_unauth_destination
    9 # You must specify your NAT/proxy external address.
    10 #proxy_interfaces = 1.2.3.4
    12 relay_recipient_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/relay_recipients
    14 /etc/postfix/relay_recipients:
    15 [email protected] x
    16 [email protected] x
    17 . . .

When your system is PRIMARY MX host for a remote site you need the above, plus:

18 /etc/postfix/main.cf:
    19 transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport
    21 /etc/postfix/transport:
    22 the.backed-up.domain.tld relay:[their.mail.host.tld]

Important notes:

* Do not list the.backed-up.domain.tld in mydestination.
    * Do not list the.backed-up.domain.tld in virtual_alias_domains.
    * Do not list the.backed-up.domain.tld in virtual_mailbox_domains.

Best, Farao

Edit reason: added example from postfix.org site.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

No, ISPConfig doesn't install it's own postfix, it relies on the postfix that's already on the system. The postfix files should then be under /etc/postfix/.

5. xma

xma New Member

Some thanks to all,

Tomorrow I will try with your comments,

6. Jeroen

Jeroen New Member

I thought when you had:

domain.com. 7200 IN MX 0 mail.domain.com.
    domain.com. 7200 IN MX 5 backup.domain.com.

The backup.domain.com will keep the mail until mail.domain.com is back online, then pushes all mails back to the mail.domain.com and everything is done. People cannot receive mail from backup.domain.com..... or I'm misunderstand the MX record features....

So it cannot be done with ISPConfig, but it can be done configuring you DNS settings.

Regards,

Jeroen.

Edit: Hmmz, this is an old post.... noticed too late... sorry!

7. xma

xma New Member

Jeroen, you say that configuring DNS settings you can do a mail server backup?

As I know, you have to point a seconday dns entry to a mailserver backup, and configure this mail server to take the mails, and relay to primary MX server, isn't it?

When primary server goes down, secondary mail server catch all mail and stores until the first mail server goes on...
    So the secondary mail server (in my case ispconfig) would be configured to take mail...

Some thanks,