Does the VPS need dhcp or static IP address?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by bokivaol, Feb 11, 2012.

1. bokivaol

bokivaol New Member

Hello comrades,
    Sorry for long introduction, but I tried to explain what is my confusion.
    I have to buy VPS hosting to run my java/scala website. I found VPS hosting provider where I am going to buy hosting, but they are clear unmanaged VPS hosting providers. I don't have so much money to buy managed VPS hosting. I read this tutorial (http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu-11.10-with-nginx-ispconfig-3), and on the third page I found this:

Code:
    Because the Ubuntu installer has configured our system to get its network settings via DHCP, we have to change that now because a server should have a static IP address. Edit /etc/network/interfaces and adjust it to your needs (in this example setup I will use the IP address 192.168.0.100):

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
            address 192.168.0.100
            netmask 255.255.255.0
            network 192.168.0.0
            broadcast 192.168.0.255
            gateway 192.168.0.1
    On this website (http://2bits.com/articles/installin...ntu-server-804-lts-hardy-heron-drupal-6x.html)
    I found:
    Configuring a Static IP address
    Code:
    Note: If you are on a VPS, skip this section. In fact, you can lose access to your server inadverently if you make a mistake here.
    On the internet I read that some guys had problem when they changed dhcp to static IP address and that they lost connection with their VPS hosting server

My question is: When I buy VPS hosting and get static IP address from hosting privider, do I have to follow the settings mentioned above and to change dhcp to static IP address which I will get from the hosting provider, or I have to keep default settings????
    Code:
    # The primary network interfaceauto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

If you buy a VPS, you can omit the networking section because it's all set up already. :)

3. bokivaol

bokivaol New Member

Thank you a lot for the help!

Sorry if I want to much, but which of those tutorial steps I can omit when I configure VPS servers, or it is already set up even if it is unmanaged VPS?

I suppose that this network configuration is for the dedicated servers?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You can leave out the part where /etc/network/interfaces is modified (in chapter 7).