Email forwarding issue

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by jopa123, Feb 15, 2012.

1. jopa123

jopa123 New Member

I've been meaning to log on and say how much I love ISPConfig and how well it's working, but now I notice an issue.

I'm running ISPConfig 3.0.3 on Ubuntu. I recently set up email forwarding for a single email address on a single domain to come to my local ISP email address. I've never done this before.

If I send an email it takes about 2 days and then I get a "Mail System Error - Returned Mail" error with this message:

"Your message was not delivered because the destination computer was not reachable within the allowed queue period."

I really am a novice and don't know how to check Postfix for errors or even where to look for logs. I did some checking but can't figure it out for myseld.

Can anyone help?

thanks.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Plese search for the forwarded email recipient address in the /var/log/mail.log file and post the error messages that you find there. You can serach for the errors with e.g. grep:

grep [email protected] /var/log/mail.log

3. jopa123

jopa123 New Member

Nothing

Till,

grep returns nothing in the mail.log file

thanks,

4. anset

anset New Member

If your mail log file does not have the mail address in it, then it was never sent by your mail server and so you should not be getting the "could not send" since it was never sent in the first place. :)

You probably have logrotate (or something like it) running. Did you check the correct log file?

You can try havinf a tail -f /var/log/maillog (or whatever your mail log file is) running in a shell when you send mail that should use the forward and see "live" what happens.

wkr,

Anset