Reverse Lookup

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by arspoetica, Mar 6, 2012.

1. arspoetica

arspoetica New Member

After doing the multi-server setup there are a few things I am having trouble with.
    First, do all the servers need their own reverse lookup or just the name servers?
    Second, how do I get it to route to roundcube / squirrelmail when I type example.com/roundcube? Should I have installed it on the web host server instead of the main server?

I think I have more questions, but I think this is a good start.

Edit: apparently I lied... in the dns records, should the a record for mail link to the mail server?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

A Reverse record is required for the mail server only. But it does not hurt if you add reverse records for all servers.

squirrelmail should be installed on the webserver and not the mailserver. Then edit the config.inc.php fileof squirrelmail and change the smtp and imap server name to the hostname of the mailserver.

3. arspoetica

arspoetica New Member

So should the A record for mail be the ip address of the web server or the mail server?

4. arspoetica

arspoetica New Member

ok, so I am having a lot of trouble with figuring this out.. I am sure that I am doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what and I am tired of messing with it.

Can someone please tell me what stupid thing I am doing that is screwing this up?

[​IMG]

I can send emails. but still can't receive them, but I want to get this figured out first since it could be part/all of the problem

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

6. arspoetica

arspoetica New Member

Reverse records - I did set them up through my ISP

Glue records - No.. and I am trying to figure those out now....... so from what I understand I need to add ns1 to the records and associate the ip address of ns1 (and likewise for ns2)

Is that correct?

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, thats correct. You have to add them as A records in the zone and if the ns records belong to the same zone then you have to add glue records.

Beside that, the NS records look wrong to me. It has to be ta-realty.com. and not www.ta-realty.com.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  8. arspoetica

arspoetica New Member

So would this be correct?
    For the glue records?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. arspoetica

arspoetica New Member

It is just a few different screens cut and pasted together to show what I hope is the glue records.

The top left is the host summary on the godaddy account showing that it has the nameservers listed properly (I hope) and the one to the right of that shows that the IP addresses are matched correctly to the domain names for ns1 and ns2, and last the bottom one is my dns records.

Actually I just checked everything and it seems to be working pretty well, including the email. Thank you so much Till and Falko! You guys rock.

ps... the pictures are coming down now... obviously

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012