Using ISPConfig2 on a local server

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Peasantmk2, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Peasantmk2

Peasantmk2 New Member HowtoForge Supporter

I've set up a Perfect Server with ISPConfig2 and all seems to be working. The purpose of the server is as a testing server for Wordpress, Joomla, and static stuff that I do from time to time. The server will only be used on my local network, and will not be exposed to the Internet.

I'm not sure exactly how I need to configure ISPConfig2 to let me do this. For example, I want one 'site' for Wordpress, another for Joomla. I would like to be able to access them from any web browser on my local network, and also FTP files to them from the local network.

Is there a FAQ on how to do this, and if so can some kind soul point me to it please? My immediate questions are what IP address do I use for the sites, do I just use the IP address of the server (192.168.1.240)? And what DNS configuration do I have to do to the client machines so they can find my sites?

Thanks in anticipation.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please see here on how to access namebased vhosts:

http://www.faqforge.com/linux/contr...ess-a-namebased-website-without-a-dns-record/

Another alternative is that you configure the computers in your local network to use the dns server from ispconfig to resolve domain names and then create dns records in ispconfig for inofficial domains like "wordpress.tld" pointing to the internal IP address of the ispconfig server and then use these domains for the websites.

3. Peasantmk2

Peasantmk2 New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Thanks. I'll give these a go.