OS suggestion and coniguration

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by troyd1, Mar 29, 2012.

1. troyd1

troyd1 New Member

I am going to move from a windows based server to ispconfig3. I have am looking for some suggestions. I have a static IP with a router. My current windows server which I am going to replace has an ip address of 192.168.2.x and I am doing a pass through of all traffic. I want to be able to use joomla as well. I saw the 10 easy steps to setup joomla, so that should help.
    Here are my questions:
    1. What version of Linux would you suggest. I have tried to research it, but everyone thinks a different one is the best. I am looking for ease of installation and ease of use with ispconfig3.
    2. Are there any configuration things I should worry about with how my network is configured?
    3. Are there any configuration issues that I should consider with my linux install or my ispconfig3 install with regard to joomla?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, I really appreciate it.

2. 51b0rg

51b0rg New Member

1)I suggest ubuntu (i suggest 11.10, latest) if you plan on having a game server or any other server software on it at the same time, and Cent OS (just latest) if you plan on just having a web server.

2)No not really.

3)make sure when you create the website your PHP version is mod_PHP

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

1) The recommended Linux distribution for ISPConfig is debian Linux as described on ispconfig.org. Debian is the most stable and tested option for ISPConfig as it is developed on Debian.
    2) No.
    3) For joomlas sites the correct PHP mode ist php-fastcgi and the suexec option must be enabled. Using mod_php as 51b0rg suggested is not a good option as the site setup would be less secure and joomla would not be able to store any files in the site folders without having to set insecure folder permissions,

4. troyd1

troyd1 New Member

I got everything installed, installed joomla and everything is working almost. When i type in my url, it bring up the index.html instead of the index.php. How can I change that? I have ordered the doc, but have not received a link yet.

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Delete index.html and try again.