The Perfect Server - Debian Squeeze - No mail

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by akia, May 22, 2012.

1. akia

akia New Member

I'm following through this > http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-s....0-with-bind-dovecot-and-nginx-ispconfig-3-p4

Which is a amazing How To guide but as I'm not a linux person. I'm trying to make a few tweaks to it and hope someone can confirm whether this is right.

I'm going to have my email hosted with Google Apps so I don't need the email stuff. I'm thinking of making the following changes to the guide:

Step 10: what the guide says
    Code:
    apt-get install postfix postfix-mysql postfix-doc mysql-client mysql-server openssl getmail4 rkhunter binutils dovecot-imapd dovecot-pop3d sudo
    What I think I should do
    Code:
    apt-get install postfix postfix-mysql postfix-doc mysql-client mysql-server openssl rkhunter binutils sudo
    Step 11: what the guide says
    Code:
    pt-get install amavisd-new spamassassin clamav clamav-daemon zoo unzip bzip2 arj nomarch lzop cabextract apt-listchanges libnet-ldap-perl libauthen-sasl-perl clamav-docs daemon libio-string-perl libio-socket-ssl-perl libnet-ident-perl zip libnet-dns-perl
    Step 11 is what I'm really struggling with. as I can't work out what I need don't need here.

Skip step 14 all together

Step 16 -
    Code:
    apt-get install bind9 dnsutils
    Skip All together because my dns is being managed centrally.

then once I've installed ISPConfig 3 set it in the server options to send mail to SMTP for the google account.

Is this right? to give me a server where no inbound mail is dealt with, but any php scripts can still send mail out if they are not able to connect directly with the smtp server.

2. akia

akia New Member

Anyone? Is no one able to confirm whether I'm right or not.

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I haven't worked with Google Apps yet, so I can't tell whether this will work or not. But I suggest you follow the guide as closely as possible and then afterwards stop all services (like BIND, Dovecot) that you don't need.