Anyone use Amazon S3 back-up Repo?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by midcarolina, Jan 28, 2012.

1. midcarolina

midcarolina New Member

Hi,

I was wondering (well looking) for a fairly inexpensive, secure, and of course credible "off-site" back-up solution for my servers. I have found that Amazon S3 offers a Repository that allows me to create CRON jobs to auto-backup to their network.

This repository was fairly simple to install, so that actual operation is not complicated at all. I would have to assume that Amazon's storage / servers are going to be as secure as anyone that offers such a service.

Does anyone else use or know anyone that has used this service, and if so, what is your opinion? Any advise would be great (or even another solution as well).

Thank you.

2. todgerme

todgerme Member

Sent you a private message.

Kind regards,

Keith

3. Robinsoneion

Robinsoneion New Member

I know this isn't really an answer but why not use an SVN provider and not worry about this stuff?

Another solution is to use git where each user has a full copy of all the deltas so you can recover from a server failure (since all are equal).

4. kevin25

kevin25 New Member

i have not use it.

5. Bitsofme

Bitsofme New Member

Hi,

I have been using amanda and s3 to back up my system for a while now with no problems and very cheaply.
    Just remember to encrypt your data before uploading it.

Andrew

6. midcarolina

midcarolina New Member

Amanda

Thanks for the reply. I am not familiar with amanda. Is this a module or repo, or maybe a cron like application? I would love to know more.

Thank you.

7. Bitsofme

Bitsofme New Member