I broke something and can't update ISPConfig 3

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Platoxia, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Platoxia

Platoxia New Member

I don't really know what is going on here...

I installed ISPConfig 3 following the Perfect Server setup for Ubuntu 12.04 with Apache just for my own use as a way to easily drop in new websites. Everything worked fine but I have made alot of configuration changes manually since then and somehow broke ISPConfig (I wasn't really using it after I setup the first site).

When I try to run
    Code:
    sudo ispconfig_update.sh
    I get the error "unable to retreive version file".

I looked at the code and pinged the server with the version.txt file just fine...I even downloaded the .txt file with wget.

I decided to re-download the installation files to run the update.php that is in it from the tmp directory and when trying the backup from the first step I get the following Warnings:

Code:
    PHP Warning:  exec() has been disabled for security reasons in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/update.php on line 133
    PHP Warning:  exec() has been disabled for security reasons in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/update.php on line 134
    PHP Warning:  exec() has been disabled for security reasons in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/update.php on line 135
    Creating backup of "/usr/local/ispconfig" directory...
    PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: out in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/update.php on line 139
    PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: returnvar in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/update.php on line 139
    PHP Warning:  exec() has been disabled for security reasons in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/update.php on line 139
    PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: returnvar in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/update.php on line 140
    Creating backup of "/etc" directory...
    PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: out in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/update.php on line 143
    PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: returnvar in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/update.php on line 143
    PHP Warning:  exec() has been disabled for security reasons in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/update.php on line 143
    PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: returnvar in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/update.php on line 144
    PHP Warning:  exec() has been disabled for security reasons in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/update.php on line 146
    PHP Warning:  exec() has been disabled for security reasons in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/update.php on line 147
    PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: arr in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/lib/install.lib.php on line 221
    PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: ret_val in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/lib/install.lib.php on line 221
    PHP Warning:  exec() has been disabled for security reasons in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/lib/install.lib.php on line 221
    PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: ret_val in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/lib/install.lib.php on line 228
    PHP Warning:  exec() has been disabled for security reasons in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/lib/install.lib.php on line 212
    PHP Warning:  system() has been disabled for security reasons in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/lib/update.lib.php on line 45
    PHP Warning:  copy(existing_db.sql): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/lib/update.lib.php on line 64
    PHP Warning:  chmod(): No such file or directory in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/lib/update.lib.php on line 65
    PHP Warning:  chown(): No such file or directory in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/lib/update.lib.php on line 66
    PHP Warning:  chgrp(): No such file or directory in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/lib/update.lib.php on line 67
    Checking ISPConfig database .. PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: result in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/lib/update.lib.php on line 93
    PHP Warning:  exec() has been disabled for security reasons in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/lib/update.lib.php on line 93
    PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: result in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/lib/update.lib.php on line 94
    OK

I have to assume that all of these warnings are not normal and are probably related to having hardeded my php configurations to the following: http://www.dolollysdaylilies.com/phpsecinfo

The upload_tmp_dir and save_path are both commented out because I had inadvertantly completely wiped out my php.ini files with a script (yes, all of them) and had to download the original one from the php site.

Everything else in the php.ini file that I changed from the original (after getting it from the php site) were to secure my php settings according to phpsecinfo.

I've made alot of other manual changes to the way my server works, but the only other major change I can think of is that I successfully setup sftp for my server making key-pair logins the only option following some tutorials including the following:

http://www.howtoforge.com/restricting-users-to-sftp-plus-setting-up-chrooted-ssh-sftp-debian-squeeze
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=858475

...along with others.

To be honest, I had alot of trouble getting the key-based only logins to work and only made it work through alot of tutorial reading and trial and error.

I don't really know how the update process for ISPConfig is supposed to work...but I broke it somehow, along with ISPConfig's ability to read most of my log files; it can't even see that fail2ban is installed for example or that iptables is configured at all (they are and work fine, which is why I wanted to update ISPConfig).

I've searched around the net and see that others have had these issues as well going back several years...but I can't seem to sort this out.

I have one site setup with OpenCart and while it is all setup and functioning properly, I havn't developed the website yet.

Should I just reinstall ISPConfig, or is there another way I can send it through it's configuration stage without wiping out the functionality of the OpenCart setup? Should I continue with the update even with the warnings and hope for the best? I'm kind of torn on how to proceed at this point.

If it can be saved I would hate to have to start all over again and frankly, I'm not very comfortable going back the security holes from the original install of ISPConfig 3.

If it comes down to completely re-installing ISPConfig 3 and reconfiguring everything back to defaults, I think I would rather uninstall ISPConfig 3 and have to manually setup my OpenCart site instead.

Any advice on this would be apprecieated.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You've disabled the exec() and system() functions in your PHP configuration. You must enable them, otherwise ISPConfig won't work.

3. Platoxia

Platoxia New Member

Thanks Falko, I figured as much...

I only wonder if there are other changes that are getting in the way as well. Specifically, the sftp with key-based logins changes I've made.

I'll do some testing over the weekend.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Ubuntu has 3 php.ini files. You can sefaly disable exec and system in the apache2 and cgi php.ini file. Just dont disable it in the cli php.ini file. cli is for shell scripts only and disabling shell functions in shell scripts does not make much sense anyway.