Memory Usage

Discussion in 'General' started by Shyuan, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Shyuan

Shyuan New Member

Hi,

Was just wondering by having just ISPConfig3 (complete installation) on the server, is that possible for ISPConfig3 itself to consume up to 720MB of memory usage all the time? Never went down before since the installation. There's no websites or anything hosted yet.

I feel weird, but not sure if it's normal or abnormal. Hope to get some feedback here.

Thanks. :)

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. Shyuan

Shyuan New Member

But the other three VPSs of mine use only the memory as stated below:

1) cPanel and host 3 websites: using only 200MB memory
    2) cPanel and host 3 websites: using only 400MB memory
    3) Interworx and host 2 websites: using only 400MB memory

After installing ISPConfig3, it took 700MB+ of memory all the time since installing it and without hosting any sites yet. Not sure if they are comparable in this way. But would hope to hear from you guys. thanks!

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

First of all, ispconfig does not use any memory permanently, its not a service. run:

ps aux | grep ispconfig

you will see that no or nearly or no memory is used. As explained on the page above, memory is used for caching and for other services running on your server. A memory usage of 700MB is normal foll a full featured hosting system which runs email, antivirus and spam filters and imap, dns and http servers and the setup of ispconfig is not comparable with plesk as the memory usage does not rise that much when you add more sites in ispconfig. The min. memory size for a ispconfig system is 750MB and the recommended size is 2GB.

5. Shyuan

Shyuan New Member

Alright, i got it and now I understand what do you mean thanks, Till! ;)