Need help setting up server and DNS...

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by CHLee, Jun 3, 2006.

1. CHLee

CHLee New Member

Hi everyone,

Firstly I would like to thank Falko on his great Perfect server setup SUSU 10.1 server setup tutorial.

My problem is quite simple for guys like you, as I'm a complete Linux newbie, I have bitten the bullet and have migrated form Windows (Biggest pile of mess OS ever... Only used it to play Games) I want to host my own site with my own Nameservers (at present only one box with on NIC) my domain was registered with GoDaddy so I have Managed DNS option. My current Nameservers are at Zoneedit, I have installed every thing on SuSe 10.1 ready for ISPConfig install, my box is behind a NAT/Router to a 10MB Cable Modem.

Q1: should i connect straight to the modem or stay behind router.
    Q2: if I saty behind router should i DMZ or IP filter (My IP filtering is limited on my Router [DLink DI-634M])
    Q3: what IP no's do i use in the DNS zone files my lan ip or wan ip, and how do i then setup my nameservers eg: ns1.mydom.net, ns2.mydom.net on the same comp (Current hostname server.mydom.net).
    Q4: when using ISPConfig when setting up the sites and bind them to individual IPs eg 192.168.0.100, 192.168.101, 192.168.0.etc. how do i use my nameservers and will external requests work even when they are binded to internal IPs not external IPs.
    Q5: and how will other websites eg: www.otherdom.com have a mail server called mail.otherdom.com as my mail server is eg mail.mydom.net.

Well at present thats all I need help with but i'm sure i'l be back being a newbie.

Many thanks in advance to everyone the linux community rocks unlike the windows community which is like its OS crap.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Whatever you prefer. But I assume you want to share your internet connection, so put it behind your router.

Either put it into a DMZ or forward all needed ports from your router to your server (e.g. 21, 22, 25, 53 (TCP & UDP), 80, 81, 110, 143, 443, 993, 995).

Always your public IP addresses, becaue otherwise noone outside your LAN can access your web sites.

Just let ns1 and ns2 point to the same public IP address (your router's public IP address) and forward port 53 (TCP & UDP) to your server. In ISPConfig you then use the DNS Manager and create only master zones (becasue you don't have a slave server).

Just create an A record mail.otherdom.com and then an MX record for otherdom.com which points to mail.otherdom.com.

Have a look here: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6292&postcount=4
    http://www.howtoforge.com/traditional_dns_howto

3. CHLee

CHLee New Member

Hi falko thanks for your reply,

I have my computer behind my router as DMZ @ present just to get it working then il port filter later.

I've created my A and MX records using ISPConfig www.site1.com, mail.site1.com, www.site2.net mail.site2.net, server.site2.net. Pointing to my WAN IP i have setup multiple IPs on single nic ready for sites but which IPs do i use when setting up my sites as i want to have each on seperate ips so i can use ssl on each new site, if i use the lan ips eg www.site1.com 192.168.0.101 will outside users be able to view the page from the net as i only have one wan ip.

If you could post back asap as im ready to create the sites and test,

4. falko

Yes, use the LAN IP addresses and make sure you forward the necessary ports from your router to your server.

5. CHLee

CHLee New Member

hi falko,

I've done what you said, a used my WAN IP on the DNS records and used the LAN IP on the creation of the sites, it works on the LAN IP 192.168.0.100 but when I tried to have the second site on LAN IP 192.168.0.105 i got the shared ip ISPConfig error message so i'm no better off than when i was using windows as a switched to linux so i could bind multiple ips to a single nic to server up multiple sites with ssl enabled but i cant. How can i serve up the sites with different LAN IPs so i can enable seperate ssl crts without the shared ip error when i removed the shared ip part of the vhosts file the second site resolved to the first as it did in windows. Could you help me to resolve this problem as i have tried every thing.

P.S was i correct in adding A recoreds in example.com for nameservers ns1.example.com ns2.example.com.

Many thanks for your help in this Chris

6. falko

I think the problem is that you can forward port 80 only to one internal IP address, but not to multiple ones...

Yes.