maildrop cannot deliver to changed maildir

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by fmarton, Sep 21, 2012.

1. fmarton

fmarton New Member

Dear Falko,
    First let me thank you for your incredible work with your tutorials.
    I've been following your documentations for years and they are far the bests among others I could find.
    So thank you very much!

My problem is that I have set up a server using this tutorial:
    The Perfect Server - Debian Squeeze (Debian 6.0) With BIND & Courier [ISPConfig 3]
    http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-debian-squeeze-with-bind-and-courier-ispconfig-3

All steps done successfully.

My pre-installed server has separate /var and /home partitions.
    I usually keep stuff (mails,webs,etc.) under /home, so I ordered the install with a large (1.5TB) /home partition and a relatively small(20GB) /var partition.
    Therefore, I need to change the maildir from /var/vmail to /home/vmail.
    EDIT: I have copied /var/vmail to /home/vmail to keep all previously created data.
    I have made the change in ISPConfig, but maildrop still tries to put mails to /var/vmail
    I was getting this error message when sent a test letter:

maildrop[22912]: Unable to change to home directory.
    postfix/pipe[22911]: 30CDCC0067: to=<...>, relay=maildrop, delay=50958, delays=50958/0.03/0/0.07, dsn=4.3.0, status=deferred (temporary failure. Command output: /usr/bin/maildrop: Unable to change to home directory. )

I have searched the system for "/var/vmail" with "grep -r" and found that I have a postfix entry in main.cf that was something "like virtual_mailbox_mail = /var/vmail".
    I have changed it to /home/vmail, restarted postfix and all mail-related processes, but still no avail.

Edit: I have changed /var/vmail to /var/vmail.bak to see what happens, and now it is saying:

maildrop[4939]: Unable to create a dot-lock at /var/vmail/.....
    postfix/pipe[4933]: 30CDCC0067: to=<....>, relay=maildrop, delay=67707, delays=67707/0.09/0/0.05, dsn=4.3.0, status=deferred (temporary failure. Command output: /usr/bin/maildrop: Unable to create a dot-lock at /var/vmail/...)

EDIT: If I rename /var/vmail.bak back to /var/vmail then the mails are delivered correctly to /var/vmail but I of course cannot see them in a client, as courier search for them in /home/vmail (because it is set in ispconfig)

Could you have any idea that can point me to the right direction?

Thank you in advance! Have a great day!

Marton

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  2. topdog

topdog Active Member

This is a permissions issue, maildrop is unable to write to that new path, check and fix the permissions.

3. fmarton

fmarton New Member

Thank you for your answer, but I wouldn't think it is a permission issue.
    Permissions are set correctly afaik (vmail:vmail 755)
    The problem is that maildrop tries to deliver to the wrong place.
    If there is a /var/vmail folder mails are arrives there.
    However they should arrive to /home/vmail.

I don't know where else I could set the delivery location.
    As I read by default it should deliver to the home directory of the user (vmail)
    Which is set to /home/vmail

Thanks a lot!
    Marton

4. fmarton

fmarton New Member

Solution found

Took a while, but I finally solved it.
    The grep -r '/var/vmail' did not find the /home/vmail/.mailfilter file which contained the entries for /var/vmail.

So if anyone else interested how to change the maildir location after completing this tutorial, I succeded to change /var/vmail to /home/vmail by following these steps:

1: Change maildir and homedir entries in ISPConfig: System -> Server config -> Mail page
    2: Copy the vmail folder to the appropriate location: cp -a /var/vmail /home/vmail
    3: Update vmail system user's home directory: usermod -d /home/vmail vmail
    4: Set virtual_mailbox_base = /home/vmail in /etc/postfix/main.cf file
    5: Update all /var/vmail entries to /home/vmail in /home/vmail/.mailfilter file
    6: chown -R vmail:vmail /home/vmail
    7: restart all mail services

Make sure that the quota mount options in /etc/fstab are added to the correct drive/partition containing the new maildir folder. (I already did it during the initial setup)

Cheers,
    Marton