Relocating mail storage folder in Centos 6.3 with dovecot and ispconfig

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by daseagle, Jan 17, 2013.

1. daseagle

daseagle New Member

Hello!

I have a Centos 6.3 server which is running fine, thanks to the combined efforts of falko and till :D

Now, I need a bit of info regarding some customisation.

1. My users generate huge amounts of e-mail data, which they all want to keep on the server as well. Now, the main drive is a 75 gb/15krpm scsi, which while fast, is not big enough.

I added two more 2 TB drives, one for storage and another for backup, all formatted and mounted, under /Storage and /Backup.

As far as I can tell, mail is being stored in /var/vmail/domain.tld/user. Is there any way in which I can relocate this to the drive mounted under /Storage?

Also new e-mail domains created via ispconfig will have to store their stuff there automagically.

2. I have a ton of mails saved from the old hosting enviroment. Is there any way in which I can import/copy that data to their user folders and make it to show up in Squirrelmail?

-------------

For the first question, there probably is some setting in a .conf that regulates mail storage - I just need a bit of direction. The second, I have no idea if it would work or not.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

If you use LVM, you could add the drive to LVM and then extend the volume where your mail folders are located (see http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_lvm ).

If the old emails are located on an IMAP server, you could use tools such as imapcopy, imapsync, or IMAP TOOLS (you can find tutorials for each here on HowtoForge).

3. daseagle

daseagle New Member

Regarding mail storage relocation: Is there any way I can do this without using LVM?

Thanks for the info regarding imap mail import, done it and it works beautifully.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You could stop your mail services (Postfix, Dovecot), rename /var/vmail to /var/vmail_bak, create an empty /var/vmail directory and mount the drive to /var/vmail. Then copy the content of /var/vmail_bak to /var/vmail and start Postfix and Dovecot again.