How does fstab work?

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by John Ford, Jul 9, 2013.

1. John Ford

John Ford New Member

I've been following the great tutorial found here,
    http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu-12.04-lts-apache2-bind-dovecot-ispconfig-3-p5

When I enter
    Code:
    /dev/mapper/server1-swap_1 none            swap    sw              0       0
    on reboot it gives me a mountall error.
    The default(original) fstab on install contained two uuid #'s for each portion of my hard drive one /dev/sda1 and one for swap /dev/sda5

this portion the system is fine with

Code:
    /dev/mapper/server1-root /               ext4    errors=remount-ro,usrjquota=quota.user,grpjquota=quota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0 0       1
    but when I enter the swap label it gets all cranky with and without the uuid #'s. BTW I changed the labels to reflect my system name.

Does anyone know why it would behave this way and does anyone know a good fstab tutorial?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  2. id10t

id10t Member

Not enough swaps in there... here's one of mine:

Code:
    UUID=d23eeb31-11e3-43ed-a2d6-2c395587ef97	swap	  swap	sw	0	0

device/label/uuid of fs then mount point then fs type then options then dump and pass

3. John Ford

John Ford New Member

Adding in "swap" in replacement for "none" doesn't seem to change anything.
    for the UUID# indicating the swap partition

Code:
    /dev/mapper/server1-swap_1 none            swap    sw              0       0

Its this line that makes it grumpy that the system is not ready or not yet present and then gives me a mountall error.

From what I have been able to determine this line is the only line that Ubuntu 12.04 LTS doesn't complain about

Code:
    /dev/mapper/server1-root /               ext4    errors=remount-ro,usrjquota=quota.user,grpjquota=quota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0 0       1
    when it comes to swap partitions or auto mounting a usb drive fstab and the system seems to prefer using UUID#'s. I didn't experience any errors when doing it this way.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013