Why can I connect to the server, to get my mail

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Dewtain, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Dewtain

Dewtain New Member

I'm new to this VPS stuff. We had Debian 6 running with Postfix and Courier.

That worked well, until I had to reinstall the server. Now the mail applications can't connect to mail.domain.com. I have tried the old setup, and now followed the Debian 7 how to Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier, MySQL And SquirrelMail (Debian Wheezy).

I just keep getting the message that the server can't be contacted. I haven't changed the DNS settings, when I ping mail.domain.com, it gets a response.

What am I doing wrong?

2. conductive

conductive Member HowtoForge Supporter

postfix or courier connection problem?
    Clear text?
    server1.example.com?

You will need more information and possibly a /etc back-up or?
    can you telenet the port?

3. Dewtain

Dewtain New Member

It seems Postfix is the problem. I can telnet and and send, via port 25. When I go to a different computer or my iPhone, I can receive now (I got that part fixed) but not send.

I use Postfix, Courier (both with MySQL), SASL and TLS. I followed this tutorial, I did skip the Amvis, Spamassassin and ClamAV part. Instead of that I installed Dspam and ClamAV.
    I disabled the dspam lines in the Postfix master.cf, no change.

I did use the FQD (not server1.example.com :D), it has worked before the reinstall, I changed nothing when it comes to the DNS.

In case I need to share some config files, please do tell me which ones I need to share.

4. Dewtain

Dewtain New Member

I got it working. I found an older backup I made of the master.cf file.

I have no idea why this one works, and they other one didn't, sadly.

5. eodsteven

eodsteven New Member

Hello

Silly question but have you forwarded all the applicable Ports? Sometimes we forget the easy stuff. I got 25, 110 and 143 all forwarded...