Where can I found doc about site backup and recovery?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by gsc-frank, Jul 29, 2013.

1. gsc-frank

gsc-frank New Member

Hi all,

Can any body pointing me to doc about how to backup and recovery ISPConfig sites? I buy the ISPConfig Manual, but there not exist doc about site backup feature.

I'm mainly interested in know what is left out of a site backup, I mean, can I trust that all config and customization that a site could have is included when I create a site backup? What about recovery? I'm right now making the DR plan to my organization and want know how useful could be ISPConfig out the box backup feature.

Thanks in advance
    Frank

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The backup contains all files of the website and the mysql database. CReate a backup of the site, download it and unpack it on your desktop if you like to see all details of the backup.

3. gsc-frank

gsc-frank New Member

Thanks for your quick reply Till!

So backup recovery must be manually?

I mean, ISPConfig not support backup recovery out the box?

Restoring a site backup could be a non trivial task, just come to my mind things like...

1- File ownership collisions (the system user and system group of the backed-up site already is taken by another site in the restoration/recovery server),

2- Differences between restoration server configuration and backed up site's server, for example regard default php.ini directives.

What I want achieve is have a farm of servers running tons of ISPConfig sites and have one server ready to take several ISPConfig sites in case that one of those server fails. Can be done more or less automatically using some feature of ISPConfig?

Thanks again!
    Frank

4. till

No, ispconfig supports restore as well. Just click on the restore button of the backup that you want to restore from the list of site backups.

Thsi can not happen as you can not restore a site that you finally deleted.

The backup contains the website files and database. It does not contain a php.ini.

This cant be done with the backup function. The backup function exists so that clients can backup and restore their website content. The bckup is not made for transferring apache configurtions between servers.

5. gsc-frank

gsc-frank New Member

Thanks for your great support Till!

Just to confirm...

Site backups can just be restored by ISPConfig in the same server they where created, right? and due to ISPConfig site backup restoration is no useful to restore a backed up site on a different server in case of the origin server fail?

Thanks in advance!

6. till

Yes, the site backup is a function for your clients in case they deleted a file accidently or removed data from their database. Its not a function for admins to move sites between servers.

7. gsc-frank

gsc-frank New Member

Thanks Till!