CA path error, file does not exist:admin/openssl.cnf

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by bch, Oct 31, 2013.

1. bch

bch Member

Hi.

I'm on ISPConfig 3.0.5.3 and Debian 7.

I have a website on mail.example.com with a working trusted SSL configuration.

I wanted to redirect www.mail.example.com to mail.example.com so I went to the redirect tab and
    set SEO Redirect to www.domain.tld => domain.tld even though I was unsure if it would work that way.

Afterwards I got this error in the ISPConfig Log:

Code:
    CA path error, file does not exist:admin/openssl.cnf
    mail.example.com still worked with SSL. But not the redirection.

I changed the redirect back to No redirect and got the same error again, but everything works as normal.

What is the proper way of doing such a redirection? Via subdomain or aliasdomain?

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  2. Croydon

Croydon ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

If you have set up the "mail.example.com" as a website, then the best way would be to set "auto-subdomain" setting to "www" and then select the seo redirect www -> no-www

But I'm not sure, if that solves your "error message" issue.

3. bch

bch Member

Thank you for your answer Croydon.

I'll just clarify for the record.

The redirect didn't work at first because I forgot to set up DNS (doh). Afterwards it worked.

It seems that I got the error everytime I change a setting on that website. Fx. changing the auto-subdoman.

It doesn't bother me too much. Apparently it doesn't break anything.

4. labsy

labsy Member

Interesting... lately I started receiving exact the same error:
    Code:
    ERROR - CA path error, file does not exist:admin/openssl.cnf
    Seems like it is thrown every time someone changes anything in ISPConfig.

It started when I upgraded a bunch of stuff, among them most significant change was MySQL from 5.1 --> 5.5. I also added PHP-FPM 4.3.x, but could not get it into work on this server (simply, web sites do not pick-up this PHP version, but runs on FastCGI).
    Also from above mentioned upgrades ISPConfig pops-up a warning
    Code:
    The page at https://my.ISPConfig.site:12345 says:
    The changed data on this page will be lost if you press OK. Discarded if you press Cancel
    ...but nothing is changed, not even touched on the main Web Site page settings.

Those seems to be related with ERROR - CA path...

At least it is annoying receiving this error 20-times a day.
    Any idea how to approach?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  5. willieram

willieram New Member

I am also getting the same error, under Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS , on the ISPConfig log.

6. Blaasbalg

Blaasbalg Member

I was experiencing the same issue, untill I found out what was causing it for me.

I was using Firefox while I was working in the ISPConfig panel, and when I logged in with the admin account, I clicked on 'Remember my password' when Firefox asked me to.

Later I changed some settings in the Web tab of the server configuration, and it turns out that Firefox automatically filled the 'CA path' and 'CA passphrase' fields under 'SSL Settings' with the admin account details (due to the fact that I saved the login details in Firefox).

After I cleared those two fields, the error disappeared. I obviously don't know if this is the same case for you guys, but it might be worth to check it. ;)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  7. willieram

willieram New Member

Dear Blaasbalg, that was precisely it! Tks so much!!!
    Happy New Year!
    :)

8. tfboy

tfboy Member

Same thing here. Thanks!

9. arraken

arraken Member

Had the exact same error, but with google chrome. Is this a bug that should be fixed in the ISPConfig interface? I found the solution quickly thanks to this thread, so it's not that bad, but i think that's something that will happen to many ISPConfig admins.

10. jadik

jadik New Member

root cause is obscure

wow... this problem of having server configuration fields auto-populate fields on the server configuration form seems like a good one to address.

It seems unreasonable to have these two (hidden) fields auto-populate when changing other information on the server config... it should be easy enough to change the text-field names without causing any further programmatic tragedy, right?

11. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Thats already fixed for quite some tim in the git stable branch, see bugtracker.

12. sghazagh

sghazagh Member

Hi,
    I still experiencing this in ISPConfig 3.1b1 and solution provided above was working.
    It's good to check if this problem has been fixed and the fix has been merged to master in GIT.
    error.png

Thanks

13. loeffel

loeffel New Member

Could somebody point out where exactly these two fields are?
    I can't find anything at System ->Serverconfiguration -> Web ->SSL Settings
    Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  14. till

System > Server Config > Web > SSL Settings: CA-Path and CA Passphrase.

15. loeffel

loeffel New Member

till, that's exactly where I looked but all I see are two checkboxes - no hidden inputs either.

16. till

See screenshot. This is on apache with ispconfig 3.1, the fields exist in the same place on ispconfig 3.0.5.x as well.

Attached Files:

17. loeffel

loeffel New Member

I already contacted my hoster, seems I don't have permission to set this

Attached Files: